Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
jboogs1zzfe

Turbo Charging My 1zzfe 2000 Corolla

I just looked at that website. I think by about step 5, you can't even call that thing a car anymore. A little excessive if you ask me, especially with removing the plastic paneling. I've known of idiots who have done that (its not legal here in Mass) and their performance doesn't improve at all because its PLASTIC! The plastic panelling probably weighs maybe 20 lbs at most. If you are serious about dropping weight, just remove the air conditioning unit. Now that thing has got to weigh 100+ lbs. That's what BMW did back in the mid-90s when they were trying to make a light production car of the M3 E36 called the "CSL".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M3#E36_M3

I've seen that before, and that is funny.

If the AC is broken, I'd remove it, but stripping working parts is just silly.

In a 2dr with useless rear seats, I've removed the rear seat belts and they weighed almost 50lbs. That alone with the spare tire, jack, and cleaning out the car is almost as much as having another passenger in the car.

If you really want to race the car, you could remove seat belts, seats, everything in the trunk, clean the car out, and then put the stuff back when you are done.

If the stereo sucks, you could remove that and all the speakers.

Contributors don’t see ads — including in-image ads!

Do the seatbelts really weigh that much? On my Corolla, I removed the center seatbelt in the rear because its basically for show to claim the car is 5 passengers. I think it looks better with just 2 belts in the back (symmetry). Also, the belt was costantly getting in my way when I had to fold down the seats. In all, the coil unit probably weighed only 4 lbs at most. I had originally considered removing all the rear belts since I don't use my back seats, but they weigh only 4 lbs each so its not really worth it. Here's a pic of my rear bench:

http://www.freewebs.com/brendonbosy/rearseat.jpg

Do the seatbelts really weigh that much? On my Corolla, I removed the center seatbelt in the rear because its basically for show to claim the car is 5 passengers. I think it looks better with just 2 belts in the back (symmetry). Also, the belt was costantly getting in my way when I had to fold down the seats. In all, the coil unit probably weighed only 4 lbs at most. I had originally considered removing all the rear belts since I don't use my back seats, but they weigh only 4 lbs each so its not really worth it. Here's a pic of my rear bench:

They did on a 91 Mitsubishi. Maybe Toyota has lighter parts. The coils for the seat belts were pretty heavy. The mounting parts didn't weight too much, but even they carried a little bit of weight because of safety standards. The mounting stuff was one of very few SAE size stuff on my car.

Surely this thread must be a bit of a laugh :lol: Thanks for the cheering up though :D

The amount it would cost just to keep up with a mildy modified sports car would not be worth it.

If the engines going to be boosted, that means motor out, prepped block, forged bottom end, pistons, cams, ported heads / manifold, intercooler, custom piping, heavy duty clutch, hardened output driveshafts, diff, bigger calipers, brakes, wider tyres, custom PCM tune, not to mention the cost of labour on top of various parts not listed that need to be included.

It would be different, but its still just a........Corolla.

Edited by Accent 1ZZFE

So the fifth person will have to ride without a seatbelt?

Basically I removed the rear center belt for decoration/symmetry. I almost always never have rear passengers. Usually just myself or a front passenger. Have you ever actually tried seating 3 full-sized people in the back? On a 66" wide car, its not comfortable by any means. Even on my grandmother's 99' Camry several years back, I got stuck sitting in the middle seat between my uncle and my sister. It was not fun at all.

So the fifth person will have to ride without a seatbelt?

No one cares about the hump passenger. That's why they are on the hump. No one likes them.

Basically I removed the rear center belt for decoration/symmetry. I almost always never have rear passengers. Usually just myself or a front passenger. Have you ever actually tried seating 3 full-sized people in the back? On a 66" wide car, its not comfortable by any means. Even on my grandmother's 99' Camry several years back, I got stuck sitting in the middle seat between my uncle and my sister. It was not fun at all.

Usually the smallest person gets stuck in the middle. It just makes more sense to do it that way.

Sure it is not the most comfortable, but it is a temporary condition.

I also have very rare occassions when I have any passengers.

About 98% of the time I am driving back and forth to work, or somewhere without anyone else.

I know it's been almost 10 days, but since I found some nice things on ebay, I should jump in the fun:

ebay item 220092033368 is a turbo kit for 1ZZ (or even 4A from them claiming fitment for 93). From what it shows even the turbo itself and intercooler is there. At $690 it seems too good a price to be true from what I've read so far.

Thoughts? (Okay, labour and tuning haven't been factored in yet, but still...)

I know it's been almost 10 days, but since I found some nice things on ebay, I should jump in the fun:

ebay item 220092033368 is a turbo kit for 1ZZ (or even 4A from them claiming fitment for 93). From what it shows even the turbo itself and intercooler is there. At $690 it seems too good a price to be true from what I've read so far.

Thoughts? (Okay, labour and tuning haven't been factored in yet, but still...)

Good luck converting it.