Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
Guest SeaDNA

Check Engine Light, Harsh Shifting

Guest SeaDNA

New member - 2005 Corolla - my check engine light started coming on about 1-2 months ago. Initially it was intermittent then became steady. When the light is on, shifting is harsher, idle is higher by a few 100 RPM and all shift points seem high. Took it to the dealer a few weeks ago and they indicated that there was a TSB on this (I just found it online myself - TSB 01406). Said they needed to order a new ECM or ECU (I forget which), indicated it would take a week or so. Called a few days ago wondering when they would call me to install. Repair guy was surprised and checked to see what was up. Turns out the part is on "critical backorder" and won't be in until the 3rd week in Nov. Anyone else with this problem? Mileage has dropped to 26MPG and I'm wondering if the harsh shifting might be causing other damage over time.

Edited by SeaDNA

i woudlnt drive it anymore than you need to. tell the dealer you want a rental car till they fix it under warranty.

Toyota doesn't work that way. You can only get a loaner from Toyota for one of three reasons:

1) Your car is unsafe to drive in it's current state and requires a repair that will take more than 1 day to complete.

2) Your car is inoperable and requires repairs that will take more than 1 day to complete.

3) Your car is exhibiting behavior that is unusual and requires extensive diagnosis to determine the problem.

This car isn't unsafe to drive, it isn't inoperable, and the behavior does not require extensive diagnosis. Thus Toyota will not give you a loaner car for free. You could always ask, but the answer will most likely be no. Also worth noting, Toyota won't give you a loaner for repairs that take more than 1 day to complete because of scheduling conflicts between you and your dealer.

what if he continues to drive it resulting in further damage tho? it sounds like a transmission issue and it can only take a few hundred feet to go from working to broken in an automatic transmission.

what if he continues to drive it resulting in further damage tho? it sounds like a transmission issue and it can only take a few hundred feet to go from working to broken in an automatic transmission.

The car is not currently unsafe, it is currently moving froward, and it isn't hard to diagnose the problem with it. Convince Toyota that the car is unsafe, undriveable, or is going to be unholy complicated to diagnose and then you'll get a loaner.

If as you say the car dies tomorrow because of tranny failure, then he'll get a new tranny and a new ECU and a rental, all courtesy of Toyota, so he doesn't have a whole lot to worry about in my estimation.

Edited by the99contour

The car is not currently unsafe, it is currently moving froward, and it isn't hard to diagnose the problem with it. Convince Toyota that the car is unsafe, undriveable, or is going to be unholy complicated to diagnose and then you'll get a loaner.

If as you say the car dies tomorrow because of tranny failure, then he'll get a new tranny and a new ECU and a rental, all courtesy of Toyota, so he doesn't have a whole lot to worry about in my estimation.

he is correct, but anyway, did your problem get resolved? i reallize it is an old post, but i guess i am a dedicated toyota employee.