Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
Clint Young

Speedometer Not Working

hmm, so is your odometer off now?

you can roll it to your correct mileage by turning the trip odometer with a small implament

I might just do that.. I know on my other car I would manually roll the numbers. I just wrote down the original mileage and the new mileage on a piece of paper so I could calculate the actual mileage if needed. I'm sure it probably won't matter anyways.. I'm going to drive this thing until the wheels fall off! at 225,000 miles, it is still running strong! (But it sure would be nice to read the actual mileage and not have to reference my piece of paper.. when I end up losing it! lol)

also, theres legal issues of having the odometer showing the correct milage, for example if it were in an accident and was to be totalled and they needed to calculate the value to write you a check, the wrong milage could either get you less money or get you investigated for fraud.

In the old days - people disconnected their spedometer cable to keep the cars miles low. Sometimes they tampered with the odometer and turned the miles back (until they made them more tamper-proof). Totally dishonest, but never-the-less, they did it.

Edited by Bikeman982

In the old days - people disconnected their spedometer cable to keep the cars miles low. Sometimes they tampered with the odometer and turned the miles back (until they made them more tamper-proof). Totally dishonest, but never-the-less, they did it.

Yeah, a guy down the street from me while I was a kid did that. My dad owned an automotive repair shop and he constantly tried to get my dad "into the ring" with him. He refused. While I thought their pool house and cars were cool as a kid, I guess there is a reason he is in prison now. :) And my dad is retired with a squeaky clean record.

Yeah, a guy down the street from me while I was a kid did that. My dad owned an automotive repair shop and he constantly tried to get my dad "into the ring" with him. He refused. While I thought their pool house and cars were cool as a kid, I guess there is a reason he is in prison now. :) And my dad is retired with a squeaky clean record.

I take it he was in the auto-selling business and he was less than scrupulous (the guy down the street).

Yes, he rolled back odometers on cars. I would imagine there were several unhappy people out there in the world. He actually went to jail for it the first time, but didn't learn his lesson. I think the second time must have done the trick. Knowing about his "endeavors" has always made me cautious about mileage on vehicles.

Yes, he rolled back odometers on cars. I would imagine there were several unhappy people out there in the world. He actually went to jail for it the first time, but didn't learn his lesson. I think the second time must have done the trick. Knowing about his "endeavors" has always made me cautious about mileage on vehicles.

It is harder to roll back odometers in the new cars.

Hi guys this my first post here at Corolland, but I have been reading here for sometime now. I was reading all the back pages and I final stumble across this thread and it seems to be the exact same problem I am having with my 93 rolla as well. The trip and odo are working fine but the speedo usually goes to 40 to 60 KM (Canada) and at highway speeds it actually goes the opposite way from 60 Km and reads 30 to 40 Km when I'm actually driving 90 KM.

It's nice to see someone actually post how they fixed there problem so others can learn from it. I a very hopefull now that this will solve my problem to. I didn't want to replace VSS for no reason.

Thanks to the OP. And thanks to Fishexpo101 and Bitter. You guys provide a lot of useful info here I have noticed.

Guest Honugirl2591

Had the same problem 96 Toyota Corolla.  Got a used cluster from junkyard but now odometer works and speedometer doesn’t.