Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
twinky64

Rough Idle

Changing plugs and other tune-up items is not too difficult.

It is a lot cheaper to buy the parts and do it yourself.

Follow a repair manual, such as Haynes or Chiltons.

Guest BusinessCar

Hello,

I've owned an '02 Corolla since Nov '01 and have never had rough idle problems until these past 3 weeks.

I was in a t-bone accident (guy turned left in front of me, I hit his passenger side front tire & bumper). The front end of my card was skewed to the passenger side. Appraiser said it was still fine to drive, in fact still drove as quietly and smoothly as before accident. Since the autobody shops are so backed up here, it didn't get in for repairs until the end of February (2 1/2 months after accident).

In January an electric-type whine became more and more pronounced from the passenger side. It sounded as if it were an electric car - as the car accelerated the pitch increased, braking and it decreased.

Mentioned this to the autobody and appraiser, no response. So I waited to see what it was like after repairs.

Since the repairs, it idles very rough, which is much much worse in reverse, and the electric whine is still there. Once the engine warms up, the idle isn't as bad, but not smooth and quiet like before the repairs.

I haven't had an oil change since September (not sure of kms) so thought this was the culprit. Took it into a TOyota dealership here and they recommended changing spark plugs and cleaning the fuel system. The plugs were 'very fouled' having a white crusty residue on them. The only suggestion they had was using a different make of gas. I declined the system clean as I don't believe this is the cause of the problem.

The idleing is somewhat better, but still terrible in reverse. Is this a fuel problem? A spark plug problem? Or is it something else, i.e. transmission? Could the accident have misaligned something enough that now all is repaired there is play somewhere in the system?

Replies are most appreciated.

BusinessCar in Alberta

Hello,

I've owned an '02 Corolla since Nov '01 and have never had rough idle problems until these past 3 weeks.

I was in a t-bone accident (guy turned left in front of me, I hit his passenger side front tire & bumper). The front end of my card was skewed to the passenger side. Appraiser said it was still fine to drive, in fact still drove as quietly and smoothly as before accident. Since the autobody shops are so backed up here, it didn't get in for repairs until the end of February (2 1/2 months after accident).

In January an electric-type whine became more and more pronounced from the passenger side. It sounded as if it were an electric car - as the car accelerated the pitch increased, braking and it decreased.

Mentioned this to the autobody and appraiser, no response. So I waited to see what it was like after repairs.

Since the repairs, it idles very rough, which is much much worse in reverse, and the electric whine is still there. Once the engine warms up, the idle isn't as bad, but not smooth and quiet like before the repairs.

I haven't had an oil change since September (not sure of kms) so thought this was the culprit. Took it into a TOyota dealership here and they recommended changing spark plugs and cleaning the fuel system. The plugs were 'very fouled' having a white crusty residue on them. The only suggestion they had was using a different make of gas. I declined the system clean as I don't believe this is the cause of the problem.

The idleing is somewhat better, but still terrible in reverse. Is this a fuel problem? A spark plug problem? Or is it something else, i.e. transmission? Could the accident have misaligned something enough that now all is repaired there is play somewhere in the system?

BusinessCar in Alberta

Sounds like you have a problem that is related to engine RPM or road speed.

I would check the brakes, wheel bearings, component bearings (such as alternator) and wheels.

Hope this helps.

Hi folks, I have a similar question. I have a 92 corolla, just bought it in January and it has a rough idle as well. It had a set of plugs in the dash of the car when I got it so I swaped them in. Didnt seem to do anything different and the rough idle continued. Car works fine when accelerating but I am stuck in traffic idling 20 minutes each way to work and it is getting worse. The roughness is not too bad when I first start up but after about 10 mins when the car gets hot it gets bad, almost stalling (oil light flickers) and shaking like crazy.

I tried a jug of the injector cleaner, but it did basically nothing. My dad recommended a new distributor cap and rotor wheel but I just wanted to ask here before buying more stuff that may not even be the issue. What else could it be, timing off? fuel filter? air filter? maybe both sets of plugs arent gapped properly?

See my dilemma, I dont know where to start..

cheers

Hi folks, I have a similar question. I have a 92 corolla, just bought it in January and it has a rough idle as well. It had a set of plugs in the dash of the car when I got it so I swaped them in. Didnt seem to do anything different and the rough idle continued. Car works fine when accelerating but I am stuck in traffic idling 20 minutes each way to work and it is getting worse. The roughness is not too bad when I first start up but after about 10 mins when the car gets hot it gets bad, almost stalling (oil light flickers) and shaking like crazy.

I tried a jug of the injector cleaner, but it did basically nothing. My dad recommended a new distributor cap and rotor wheel but I just wanted to ask here before buying more stuff that may not even be the issue. What else could it be, timing off? fuel filter? air filter? maybe both sets of plugs arent gapped properly?

See my dilemma, I dont know where to start..

cheers

I'd make sure you get a good tune-up first. Sparkplugs, cap, rotor, plug wires, cleaning throttle body, etc. all part of a routine tune-up. Once those are done and you still have idle issues - then start looking at an emissions related problem. Depending on the amount of miles on the car - could be a clogged EGR causing you idle problems.

Hello,

BusinessCar in Alberta

Did the dealer check to make sure that the plug used was in the correct heat range? According to my Haynes manual that could be a contributing factor. As for the whine you can do a simple test to determine if its engine rpm or transaxle rpm related. Put the car in park and rev the engine. Does the electric sound increase in volume and pitch? If so it might be engine rpm related. Now drive the car normally on the hwy gradually increasing speed. Again, does the sound increase in volume and pitch? You have shift points that will slightly drop engine rpm between gears. If the sound is not affected by these drops in engine rpm while doing a gradual acceleration test your sound is coming from the final drive (transaxle).

Hello,

BusinessCar in Alberta

Did the dealer check to make sure that the plug used was in the correct heat range? According to my Haynes manual that could be a contributing factor. As for the whine you can do a simple test to determine if its engine rpm or transaxle rpm related. Put the car in park and rev the engine. Does the electric sound increase in volume and pitch? If so it might be engine rpm related. Now drive the car normally on the hwy gradually increasing speed. Again, does the sound increase in volume and pitch? You have shift points that will slightly drop engine rpm between gears. If the sound is not affected by these drops in engine rpm while doing a gradual acceleration test your sound is coming from the final drive (transaxle).

Also, if you put your car in neutral does the poor idle disappear? This effectively does what stepping on the clutch in a MT car will do. Disconnect the engine from the transaxle. My suspicion is you have a failed bearing (either wheel or the corresponding bearing on the passenger-side drive axle). If its the wheel bearing sometimes that'll make a louder noise when you turn opposite the direction of the offending bearing (in your case a left/ driver's side turn) as you are putting load on the bearing. Failing wheel bearings can make noises ranging from a whistling, whining, roaring. Since your car was struck in that general area I would suspect that first.