Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
Bitter

Well I Got The Header...

trap

not with the stock exhaust system, well not that i can tell.

Any noticable differences in performance or gas consumption yet?

i havent driven it enough in a consistant manner to make note of any gas mileage changes, and this is a new O2 sensor now. the new one is supposed to be OE but im not sure, it looked a little different to me. theres a bit more pep than before, tho i feel like a lost a little bit of the low end, but the mid and high rpms pull much better than before.

not with the stock exhaust system, well not that i can tell.

Any noticable differences in performance or gas consumption yet?

i havent driven it enough in a consistant manner to make note of any gas mileage changes, and this is a new O2 sensor now. the new one is supposed to be OE but im not sure, it looked a little different to me. theres a bit more pep than before, tho i feel like a lost a little bit of the low end, but the mid and high rpms pull much better than before.

I guess time will tell.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/huz...ne/e225bf75.jpg

wrapped it, took a little longer than i thought but it makes a big difference. before the heat welling off it could cook a hotdog! now i can touch it with my fingers and not get burnt, i cant hold them there but i can poke it.

it smokes alot tho, smells like pancakes just starting to burn so its not an unpleasent smell. i hear that it'll smoke for upto 45min, but im not going to let my car idle for 45 minutes! i let it smoke off for about 5 minutes, it can do the rest when i'm driving places.

Bitter

In your opinion, the gains in hp that you have gotten, is it worth the money for parts? Have you gone full exhaust upgrade or just headers? If you have gone full exhaust upgrade, is the amount of money to get a higher flowing exhaust worth the small hp gain?

-$100 for the header, -$33 for the wrap, +2500 getting rear ended and stock muffler mashed up, -$70 for the tail pipe inplace of stock muffler and bent exhaust pipes.

yea, i like how it drives with the header. it was cheap ebay crap and will probably fall apart in a few years anyways.

Bitter

In your opinion, the gains in hp that you have gotten, is it worth the money for parts? Have you gone full exhaust upgrade or just headers? If you have gone full exhaust upgrade, is the amount of money to get a higher flowing exhaust worth the small hp gain?

Best bang for the buck for 1ZZ-FE Corolla, exhaust wise, is to port the existing exhaust manifold. With the OEM setup - could net you an extra 2-3HP to the wheels, with engine management - some Celica gus were seeing as much as 8-10HP to the wheels. Some instances - the flow is better with the OEM setup then aftermarket header designs.

Best bang for the buck for 1ZZ-FE Corolla, exhaust wise, is to port the existing exhaust manifold. With the OEM setup - could net you an extra 2-3HP to the wheels, with engine management - some Celica gus were seeing as much as 8-10HP to the wheels. Some instances - the flow is better with the OEM setup then aftermarket header designs.

Do I take it to a shop to be ported, or do what Vamp did and take a Dremel to it? This mod sounds very yummy to me.

You could take it to a shop - but most people could probably do this at home varily easily - with the right tools.

Here's a great tutorial on doing it to a Corolla - on another forum that I frequent:

http://www.vvt-i.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2221

Edited by fishexpo101

the stock 7th gen manifold is such a hunk of junk, theres not much you can do to the lump of cast iron. the runners are VERY short and just dump into a chamber then down the pipe. you could port it out alot and youd have a decent turbo manifold. but for an NA engine you want equal length matched runners that are paired to the firing order to scavenge the exhaust pulses.

the stock 7th gen manifold is such a hunk of junk, theres not much you can do to the lump of cast iron. the runners are VERY short and just dump into a chamber then down the pipe. you could port it out alot and youd have a decent turbo manifold. but for an NA engine you want equal length matched runners that are paired to the firing order to scavenge the exhaust pulses.

Does increasing the size of the exhaust openings do anything to improve performance over stock??

Does increasing the size of the exhaust openings do anything to improve performance over stock??

you mean porting the head or larger exhaust runners? i think my powerband has changed some, i feel like it pulls all the way to the end of the gear better.