Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
kathyg

2007 Yaris

I just visited the Toyota North America Hompage. I looked up the Yaris specs, and it is indeed true that the sedan has a tachometer while the hatchback doesn't. From the looks of it, a tach isn't even available on the hatch, but it is standard on the sedan.

Why would they design it that way? Do they think that people who purchase hatchbacks do not want a tachometer??

Contributors don’t see ads — including in-image ads!

I just visited the Toyota North America Hompage. I looked up the Yaris specs, and it is indeed true that the sedan has a tachometer while the hatchback doesn't. From the looks of it, a tach isn't even available on the hatch, but it is standard on the sedan.

Why would they design it that way? Do they think that people who purchase hatchbacks do not want a tachometer??

They designed it that way because the hatch is the really cheap model. It doesn't even have a stereo of any kind, it just has speakers and wiring. Also, you can't get cruise, a center console, a driver's seat height adjuster, interior fabric upgrade, a hatch release that opens the hatch from inside the car, or an engine immobilizer on the hatch model.

What do you expect for a new car made by Toyota that costs less than $11,000? It starts at $2155 less than the Corolla CE without any options. It couldn't possibly have the level of equipment of a Corolla CE for that price. That is why you see no tach, console, no available cruise control, etc.

They designed it that way because the hatch is the really cheap model. It doesn't even have a stereo of any kind, it just has speakers and wiring. Also, you can't get cruise, a center console, a driver's seat height adjuster, interior fabric upgrade, a hatch release that opens the hatch from inside the car, or an engine immobilizer on the hatch model.

What do you expect for a new car made by Toyota that costs less than $11,000? It starts at $2155 less than the Corolla CE without any options. It couldn't possibly have the level of equipment of a Corolla CE for that price. That is why you see no tach, console, no available cruise control, etc.

I see. It is what you would call the basic in transportation. No frills, no thrills. Why would they even put the speakers in? I guess it is so you just add stereo? What is an engine immobilizer? Is it some kind of theft deterrent?

And that's not even a USA model! Good grief- this nasty habit of ugly mods is everywhere.

Who in the world is designing cars that like that?? Do they get any input from future (potential) buyers? If you are reading this (designers) - don't count on me buying one.

Edited by Bikeman982

That sucks about the hatch. Maybe for 08 they will bring some of the nicer options over. I saw the hatch and I thought of the Mini Copper. Some suspention and tire work and you got yourself a little in town monster. I acually had my eye on the hatch for a cheap daily driver, but I can't stand stripped down no thrill cars.

I have a very weak lead on a 85 Celica GT-S that is forest green and it looks to be 100% rust free. I hope that works out, but if not, I need some sort of car this year. I hope it's a Toyota.

That sucks about the hatch. Maybe for 08 they will bring some of the nicer options over. I saw the hatch and I thought of the Mini Copper. Some suspention and tire work and you got yourself a little in town monster. I acually had my eye on the hatch for a cheap daily driver, but I can't stand stripped down no thrill cars.

I have a very weak lead on a 85 Celica GT-S that is forest green and it looks to be 100% rust free. I hope that works out, but if not, I need some sort of car this year. I hope it's a Toyota.

You mean Mini Cooper?

You mean Mini Cooper?

Uh, ya.

When I had my CRX Si, I acually played with a mini (non supercharged) from a street light and the mini couldn't pull on me. We were both dead even with each other. I didn't take it to any high speeds, so things might have changed on top end, but overall, they were both even in town. The mini might be more plush and have higher quality meterials in the interior to look and feel better, but when it comes down to function, a Yaris hatch with TRD springs, strut tower brace, KYB GR-2 shocks and summer performace tires would hang with if not outperform a mini in the corners and in a streight line, would be pretty close.

The Yaris could be a really cheap performer in the corners with a little help from TRD, KYB and Falken tires.

In my irrelevant opinion, it's too small. I'd feel like an insect on the road, driving this thing. Also, I don't like the front end. A bit too nubbly for my taste.

Don't get me wrong, for what it is, it's a nice ride.... I'm actually surprised by some of the extras that are available for such a low end car. The fact that the consoles are different for the liftback and sedans is a bit interesting...

Edited by dklkse

In my irrelevant opinion, it's too small. I'd feel like an insect on the road, driving this thing. Also, I don't like the front end. A bit too nubbly for my taste.

Don't get me wrong, for what it is, it's a nice ride.... I'm actually surprised by some of the extras that are available for such a low end car. The fact that the consoles are different for the liftback and sedans is a bit interesting...

The reason you would feel so small is because of the oversized American SUV. Other cars in the US have been sold before that are close to the same size. It's nothing new and the Yaris is only a revised and updated version of the failed Echo.

In other parts of the world, a car this size is totally normal and many of them are offered with a diesel engine that gets even better fuel economy.

With gas prices on the rise, yet again, I think the Yaris is going to be a really big hit. I thought the Echo was a fugly little thing and I've acually been in a rental. I sure hope Toyota updated the seats in the yaris cause the Echo seats were damnned unconfertable. Anything over a short trip hurt my back.

I'm going to give the Yaris a look, but I'm starting to doubt that the hatch will fit my needs due to it being so stripped down. When it comes down to fuel economy tho, a stripped down version of any car is going to be lighter, faster, and get better fuel economy then the loaded version. The 4 door and hatch have the same fuel economy ratings, but I bet the hatch 5 speed is going to be wonderful when it comes to true fuel economy.

The Yaris would be a good in town car. I wouldn't want to take it on the HWY on long trips. Really small in town cars have so many advantages. They have such a short turning radius, and they can fit in the really small parking spots that no one else can fit in. I used to take our CRX to the city (Chicago) and it's so much nicer to drive then larger car. They zig, they zag, and I could make the tightest U turns that technicly were not suppost to be made, but hey, no one was looking :)

I gotta admit tho, after being rearended in our Corolla, I was acually afraid to drive the CRX forawhile because it was such a small car. It was also because it was a death trap. A newer car with today crash standards would be a lot safer.

And that's not even a USA model! Good grief- this nasty habit of ugly mods is everywhere.

Who in the world is designing cars that like that?? Do they get any input from future (potential) buyers? If you are reading this (designers) - don't count on me buying one.

you know thats a ricey aftermarket body kit right?

Bitter- Dunno if you're asking me that question, but yes, I know it's aftermarket, and that's why I used the term "mods." On the flip side of the Yaris pictured on this thread, I saw a Scion xA at my dealership with some great TRD wheels that actually enhanced its appearance. If I were going to buy a tiny car, I'd get the xA, not the Yaris hatch.

The Xa cost more and really only comes with a nicer stereo. That and some body panels and it's just the same car. For some reason the Xa is rated at less fuel economy :unsure:

I'm acually insainly turned off by Scion. I went to a dealer on Sunday and all the Scions has insain amounts of add ons and the price for them was really close to 20K!!!!!!! Check on the price for TRD rims and then tell me you would want them.

The Yaris would look good with aftermarket rims too and for the price of TRD rims, you could acually buy real light weight racing rims. I'm never buying a car with the Scion logo on it. I hope Scion fails like the Echo. I don't wish harm on Toyota, but as a car buyer, I think they bombed on the whole Scion thing. The Xb is acually a usefull fugly box and I see them the most. Compared to the amount of Toyota's on the road, the Scions are a fart in the wind. They are not selling that well in my area anyway.