Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
ycr99

Think I'm Due For An Oil Change...

In my 7th generation, I don't need to jack up the car. I can reach the oil filter from the top of the engine and the oil drain plug while lying down in front of the car. Looks like the drain plug is on the back side of the oil pan in the 9th generation requiring a jack.

I hope I can access it w/o getting run over. So, I guess which side should be on the driveway and which should be on the curb?

Put it in "Park" and also set the emergency brake. It won't roll on you. Look underneath and whichever side your drain plug is on is the side you want lower when you are on the curb. Hope this helps.

I hope I can access it w/o getting run over. So, I guess which side should be on the driveway and which should be on the curb?

That's not quite what I meant. Most driveways cut through the curb to slope down to the road anyway, reducing the height difference that you're trying to take advantage of.

I meant that you park your car over and parallel to a raised curb/gutter. Because of the driveway thing I said above, this might mean parking on the grass next to your driveway. Your passenger side wheels should end up on the grass (high side of curb). The drivers side wheels should end up on the road. If you have a 'square curb', the only way you'll get there is by driving across your driveway. If you have anything else... well, er... try and figure something out...

As Bikeman982 said, put the car in Park and pull the handbrake. Chock the wheels too, especially if the car is on a slope.

The whole purpose of this exercise is to reduce the risk that the car will fall on top of you while you're under it (e.g. jack collapsing). But now it seems you're worried about the car rolling over you! oh well... :P

Which reminds me of a comical (now comical, then was stupified) incident when I went to Wal-mart for oil change.

Like I said, I was customer #2 for oil change. Customer #1 was an old fellah whose truck had difficulty staying in park. Every time he parked it up at the lot (it faced the road, blocked off by fence, and kinda sloped), after he got out of the old pickup, it wouldn't stay in park, so it'd roll backwards towards the store...the poor guy ran after his pickup, hopped inside, started it and drove back to his parking spot...repeated this 3 times before finally he got the e-brake on and (door stopper looking things that were big enough to prevent car from moving, which he wedged on both rear tires) his passenger side front tire was clearly flat...

It made me shudder to think what could've happened, but when I tried explaining what happend, I couldn't stop laughing... :D I was surprised he didn't get runover by his truck when trying to hop back in!!

Which reminds me of a comical (now comical, then was stupified) incident when I went to Wal-mart for oil change.

Like I said, I was customer #2 for oil change. Customer #1 was an old fellah whose truck had difficulty staying in park. Every time he parked it up at the lot (it faced the road, blocked off by fence, and kinda sloped), after he got out of the old pickup, it wouldn't stay in park, so it'd roll backwards towards the store...the poor guy ran after his pickup, hopped inside, started it and drove back to his parking spot...repeated this 3 times before finally he got the e-brake on and (door stopper looking things that were big enough to prevent car from moving, which he wedged on both rear tires) his passenger side front tire was clearly flat...

It made me shudder to think what could've happened, but when I tried explaining what happend, I couldn't stop laughing... :D I was surprised he didn't get runover by his truck when trying to hop back in!!

To add to that, there are some cars that the emergency brake does not hold the car from going backwards. If you park on a slope and your car won't go into park, even the emergency brake set may not keep it from rolling downhill backwards.

hahaha thats my diy! good to know that its atleast useful. Oil change is really easy, so if you've got like an hour and some basic tools, you'll be easily done with the entire process. Plus, you definately need an oil change. With regular oil, try to stay within 5000 miles every oil change.

hahaha thats my diy! good to know that its atleast useful. Oil change is really easy, so if you've got like an hour and some basic tools, you'll be easily done with the entire process. Plus, you definately need an oil change. With regular oil, try to stay within 5000 miles every oil change.

Oil changes are not too difficult and most people should be able to do it themselves. You can have one done for you for pretty cheap, but they usually just drain it quickly and put in any cheap oil they have around. I would prefer a more careful oil change to insure it is done correctly.

If you can unscrew a bottle of Coke and pour it into a glass without making a mess, you can do an oil change.

Oil changes are easy to do but with a late model Corolla , I believe you need certain tools.

You can do a change without a jack, but its easier with one or a set of ramps.

If you want to change the oil filter, it may be difficult trying to get access with a filter wrench, what I use is a 1/2 in. drive socket set with a claw removal clamp to remove the oil filter.

The sump plug I think is 14mm hex from memory.

If you can unscrew a bottle of Coke and pour it into a glass without making a mess, you can do an oil change.

Oil changes are easy to do but with a late model Corolla , I believe you need certain tools.

You can do a change without a jack, but its easier with one or a set of ramps.

If you want to change the oil filter, it may be difficult trying to get access with a filter wrench, what I use is a 1/2 in. drive socket set with a claw removal clamp to remove the oil filter.

The sump plug I think is 14mm hex from memory.

The hardest part of an oil change is remembering to put the sump plug (drain plug) back in!!

Hey folks! Can anyone tell me how often you change the drain plug crush washer? My crush washer almost fell apart in my hands the last time I changed the oil and I now need to get a new one. Can anyone tell me where to get them cheap? My local Strauss store didn't have what I needed and they didn't have an updated catalog to lookup my 2000 CE.

Hey folks! Can anyone tell me how often you change the drain plug crush washer? My crush washer almost fell apart in my hands the last time I changed the oil and I now need to get a new one. Can anyone tell me where to get them cheap? My local Strauss store didn't have what I needed and they didn't have an updated catalog to lookup my 2000 CE.

I usually re-use mine and don't overtighten the drain plug bolt when you put it back on.