Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
toyota81

How Good Is Your Corolla On Gas?

Could also be how they boost the octane of that particular gasoline.

I switched to several stations and they roughly give me the same fuel economy. But last several fillups - I'm been filling up with premium and seeing consistently better mileage on the range of at least 15-20% better for the same driving conditions.

Might have something to do with the amount of miles on the motor or just how they mix the gas - but the car does run better on the expensive mix. Solved the intermittent EVAP problem that I have been having since the car was new - no real fix (EVAP system checks out - several trips to dealers and other import mechanics and my own troubleshooting). Problem with the purge control solenoid/valve has become plugged (liquid gas in one of the lines - charcoal canister is OK) - problem goes away once the fuel evaporates.

trap

Some gas stations cheat the metered fuel too. We might have been paying for more gallons then we were getting.

It's hard to say why we got the sudden increase, but I'm going to stick with what works.

Does the Corolla have a knock sensor? I've heard that newer cars can take advantage of high octane even tho they can run on 87.

Gas stations cheating is a real problem. I'm not sure how wide spread it is, but I know for a fact it happens. I once pumped more fuel then my tank held. Opps. So of any of you are way off from EPA ratings and you've checked the obvious, try changing gas stations.

Well, we filled up already cause we went on a road trip. We got abouts 38MPG, but the trunk was full, and the car had two people and a dog and we had the AC on the whole time, and we drove kind of fast. I was kind of sick, made three stops, and I was following some fast people to make up some time and had the car at 85MPH at times.

A 05 5sp can get the 41MPG EPA ratings for sure. We stop and filled up with 89 octane in Iowa cause they sell 89 with ethenal cheaper then 87?!?! because the 87 doesn't have ethenal. I can't get gas without ethenal in Chicagoland, so whatever. I'm going to drive back a little slower and see if we can't break 41MPG. I think it can be done.

I'm REALLY starting to like our Corolla. Gas is 2.69 where we live right now. I'm starting to see SUVs and trucks drive under the speed limit. Not sure how long the gas prices will go on, but I hope they break at some point. I never thought I would see a $28 fill up in a Corolla before.

Edited by gvr4ever

I've got a 2001 LE automatic.

The best I ever got was 34 MPG (city)

The worst was 28 MPG (city)

I usually fillup with 89 octane gas.

In reply to how many mpg/kpl....I'm getting good mileage, but can't understand why people ask questions having to say the word "like" about twice every sentence. What is wrong with our kids now that they have to use the work "like" about every second word??? My step daughter is in law school and I know It's gotta hurt her as I can't see a real lawyer using "like" as every second word.

Guest dboy

My MPG isn't so good. Mainly my fault with my bad driving habits and lack of care for the car's internals. But, I'm trying to be a lot more gentle and easier and I have been getting my car back up to par. -_-

@muzak

I don't understand what your point is! I quick word search of this entire thread found six instances of the word 'like', and only one of those used in a slang context...

To keep this post on-topic, my 05 manual's mileage has dropped to 34mpg after lots of individual 3 mile trips and constant A/C use in the 96F heat. At $2.699/gal that's $30 to fill, so I wonder whether it's hurting the SUV owners yet...

"like" and "dude", gotta love em both. :lol:

yah I want to get back to how it was 2yrs ago when it only took $13 to fill my car up....keep dreaming...now its $29 yet still climbing even more. Im glad I got rid of the gas guzzler truck when I did, it was fun but it really pays to have fun now.

Guest KnifeEdge_2K1

so wierd in the winter i get like 22mpg

right now im getting 39mpg, i commute about 30 km to work and back every day, its not in the suburbs but it aint considered country, about 5 minutes from intersection to intersection travelling at 90kph so i guess its sorta like highway driving

400km on 29 litres i consider pretty good

Guest KnifeEdge_2K1

in the owners manual it says the corolla has a 50L tank, but when the needle is on the 3/4 mark i only need to fill about 33 litres, i know that manufacturers put a bit of a safety margin on these things but holy crap a 15 L safety margin ??? id rather have a more accurate guage

I did an experiment recently:

We have a customer which is about a 160 mile round trip up Route 15 from the shop, and the trip is about 99% highway. I had two service calls there recently.

The first, I filled up at my usual pump in the usual way, and drove up Route 15 with the AC on the whole time, going between 70 and 75 when I could, 60-65 when I couldn't. I wasn't paticularly careful of the gas pedal, and let her rip a couple times. I got about 39.5 MPG on this trip.

This week, I filled up at my usual pump in the usual way, and drove up Route 15 with the AC off and the windows up (it was about 72'F out today, pretty nice). I never exceeded 65 even if I could, and drove 50-55 where I wasn't a traffic hazard. I was very careful with the gas pedal, and had the cruise control on for the majority of the time. I was nowhere past 1/4 of the throttle at any moment. I got 45.9 MPG today, about 15% better.

G

Edited by GarrettSocling