Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
induction1

Cold Weather Starting

what are the lowest temps at which you've started your corolla? started my 04 last night in 11 degree weather; synthetic in the crankcase. has it been so cold that yours had a very sluggish start or would not start? anything else??

thanks

Mine has started at temps at or below zero. I've only experienced the slightest hesitation in weather that cold. The car can sit for days of cold weather and still start up.

This morning started just fine - was 10 degrees. Lots of times that sluggish starting you hear from some cars is from a weakened battery from the cold. Unless they filled up with 20W straight - shouldn't have a problem. You probably won't see the benefits of synthetic at starting unless it is around -30 or so.

Whew...this morning it was about 4'F out when I started my 05 Corolla and my wifes 98 Stratus.

I just changed my car over from 5000 miles of conventional oil to 5W-30 M1, my wifes car has had M1 for as long as we've had it.

Both made scary noise when I started them up. My wifes car has an AC Delco filter, I'm running an OEM Toyota.

Her car made a squealing metal on metal sound, I thought it was my car at first. Very scary, but only lasted a second or two. Mine started fine, but sounded like everything was grumbling together.

I didn't think I'd notice a difference in noise since I was running 5W-30 in both cars, synthetic nonetheless!

Around -30 °C for me (that's -22 of your weird degrees :P ). Cranked for a while but started without trouble. However the transmission and direction felt like someone had poured glue inside! That was all with factory oil.

My 05 started at around 8*F this morning with a little bit of strange noises...but started without much lag.

Tommorrow morning will be the real test...supposed to get in the negatives.

Guest Corollasroyce

Mine starts after sitting for 2 weeks at -30 celcius....so i sappose thats like -18 for you americans?

So has anyone had their corolla NOT start in the winter? At what conditions?

Well my car started this morning at a temp of -4*F

Edited by Dai_Shan

Guest vach0n

My '93 WON'T START!!

Me and a bunch of my friends had to push it into the driveway after we got 28+ inches of snow last night!

It's not the battery, because we tried jumping it and my lights/radio, etc. work!

We got it to run about an hour ago, then we moved it about 10 feet and shut it off. Then when we went to move it again, it wouldnt' start. and it's been sitting there ever since.

Anyone know possible reasons why it won't start?

Guest Corollasroyce

28+ inches of snow overnight?? holy snip, thats over 2 feet overnight, you car would be completely buried and you wouldn't be able to move cause its a corolla not a snowplow...

I also have a problem with cold starts. I have a 98 that I bought used about a year ago, and I have already replaced the starter once. I have started the car in temperatures down to about -10 degrees F and the clanking noise is pretty bad. The starter noise is noticable below about +15 to 20 F. My corolla does not handle the cold weather as well as older toyotas that I or my family have had. Besides the starter noise, the suspension makes quite a bit of noise in cold weather that I haven't experienced in my older cars. It's a good car, but I wish I still had my old '85 corolla.

Edited by patrick5