Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Edmf88

Japanese Corolla

Guest Edmf88

Im not sure what catagory this fits into , but i heard somewhere that the MADE IN JAPAN corollas were rarer than the others.

I have a 1993 corolla, and on the inner door tag it says "made in japan" and then under that "number 774" or somthing along those lines.... How many were made in japan? How many actually made it to the US? Why did they switch the plant over to california?

Thanks a lot!

Contributors don’t see ads — including in-image ads!

Im not sure what catagory this fits into , but i heard somewhere that the MADE IN JAPAN  corollas were rarer than the others.

I have a 1993 corolla, and on the inner door tag it says "made in japan" and then under that "number 774" or somthing along those lines.... How many were made in japan? How many actually made it to the US? Why did they switch the plant over to california?

Thanks a lot!

I believe corolla sedans from 1988 to present were assembled in Canada and the U.S.

while the wagons which came as all wheel drive or front wheel drive came from Japan.

Your 93 would be rarer because less were sold compared to the sedans.

Also if your 93 has 1.8 litre engine [larger engine for that generation] it was probably assembled in Japan as well.

Andrew

Edited by 00owner

Corollas are built in Japan, Canada, and the U.S. (California). A few folks here at Corolland have the J-vin Corollas, but most of us have the Canadian or Cali models.

The California plant (NUMMI-New United Motor Maufacturing Inc.) is a joint venture, undertaken by GM and Toyota in 1984. They built the Corolla and its twin, the Chevy Prizm, as well as other cars, there. The plant now makes Corolla, Tacoma, and the Pontiac Vibe for America, and the Voltz for Japan.

I believe corolla sedans from 1988 to present were assembled in Canada and the U.S.

while the wagons which came as all wheel drive or front wheel drive came from Japan.

When I bought my Corolla wagon in '94, I was given a chance to choose between one build in Japan and one build in North America.

I chose the Japaneese version. My collegue at work purchased the '93 version produced here.

As time went on, it appeared more and more that my car, albeit one year newer, had less problems than his.

While the engineering is imported from Japan, I believe that the raw materials and workmanship are superior in Japan, even though all parts must be assembled according to the same standards.

Corollas are built in Japan, Canada, and the U.S. (California). A few folks here at Corolland have the J-vin Corollas, but most of us have the Canadian or Cali models.

The California plant (NUMMI-New United Motor Maufacturing Inc.) is a joint venture, undertaken by GM and Toyota in 1984. They built the Corolla and its twin, the Chevy Prizm, as well as other cars, there. The plant now makes Corolla, Tacoma, and the Pontiac Vibe for America, and the Voltz for Japan.

Max,

Is the Geo Metro also a Corolla twin (well, that would make it a triplet, I guess)?

Similar story here; I had the choice of a jap model and a south african model. I chose the jap model for the same reason. Maybe the guy on the line in japan is a mate/neighbour of the engineer who designed the interior trim mouldings and as such knows how to coax the parts to a better fit than some south african guy who is working off a set of japlish directions.