Photo
- - - - -

Interference Or Non-interference '97 Prizm Engine?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 timkedz

timkedz

2nd Gear

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 10:38 PM

Hello,

I have a question to ask about the engines in the '97 Prizms.

I am getting close to the point where I'll have to change the timing belt on my 1997 Geo Prizm. I am really puzzled though by the fact that I can't be sure if I have an interference or a non interference motor in it.

There are only a few official places on the internet like www.gates.com that have a downloadable .pdf file that lists all the different engines that require timing belts and whether they are interference engines or not.

The strangest thing is they list both the 4A-FE and the 7A-FE engines for the Toyota Corolla as NON-interference engines, BUT... both of the Geo Prizm engines series 6 and series 8 as being INTERFERENCE engines. Is that possible?!?!?! I was sure that the engines used in both cars were virtually identical! What gives?!?! Could it be a misprint??? Or is it possible that the engines really are different in the Prizms and Corollas?

Does anyone know anything about this?? It really doesn't make that big a difference for me, because I intend to change the belt at the appropriate time anyway. I just though it was interesting the discrepancy on the Gates website.

Any input or advice will be greatly apprceciated!!!

Thanks!!

timkedz.

#2 Bikeman982

Bikeman982

Bikeman982

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 12:47 AM

Hello,

I have a question to ask about the engines in the '97 Prizms.

I am getting close to the point where I'll have to change the timing belt on my 1997 Geo Prizm. I am really puzzled though by the fact that I can't be sure if I have an interference or a non interference motor in it.

There are only a few official places on the internet like www.gates.com that have a downloadable .pdf file that lists all the different engines that require timing belts and whether they are interference engines or not.

The strangest thing is they list both the 4A-FE and the 7A-FE engines for the Toyota Corolla as NON-interference engines, BUT... both of the Geo Prizm engines series 6 and series 8 as being INTERFERENCE engines. Is that possible?!?!?! I was sure that the engines used in both cars were virtually identical! What gives?!?! Could it be a misprint??? Or is it possible that the engines really are different in the Prizms and Corollas?

Does anyone know anything about this?? It really doesn't make that big a difference for me, because I intend to change the belt at the appropriate time anyway. I just though it was interesting the discrepancy on the Gates website.

Any input or advice will be greatly apprceciated!!!

Thanks!!

timkedz.

I don't know too much about the Prizm, but I thought they use the same engines as Corolla.
If the engines are the same, then they are non-interference.
To change the timing belt you have to be able to raise the front of the engine to get the belt under the engine mount.

#3 timkedz

timkedz

2nd Gear

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 11:35 AM

Thanks, Bikeman.

I remember you mentioning doing a timing belt on a Corolla and you did say it was non-interference, so I assumed the same would apply to a Prizm as well. Like I said, I intend to replace it before it's due, so it's not really a problem, mainly curiosity.

If anyone has done a timing belt on a Prizm, let us know. I can't imagine Toyota making different engines for these cars!

Again, thanks for the response, Bikeman!

timkedz

#4 Bikeman982

Bikeman982

Bikeman982

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 01:36 AM

Thanks, Bikeman.

I remember you mentioning doing a timing belt on a Corolla and you did say it was non-interference, so I assumed the same would apply to a Prizm as well. Like I said, I intend to replace it before it's due, so it's not really a problem, mainly curiosity.

If anyone has done a timing belt on a Prizm, let us know. I can't imagine Toyota making different engines for these cars!

Again, thanks for the response, Bikeman!

timkedz

No problem, let me know if you need any assistance.
I will come over and give you a hand.