• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 urban rider

urban rider

Neutral

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 10:52 AM

I wonder how more mile have i got left to drive when the low fuel light comes on...On a corolla CE auto

#2 fishexpo101

fishexpo101

I know Karate, Kung Fu, and 47 other dangerous words...

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,564 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 11:04 AM

Varies from car to car - most would probably get atleast 30 miles or more before it becomes a problem - depending on your model year, once the lamp comes on - you got close to 2-3 gallons left in reserve, probably only 1-2 gallons are useable.

Personally - I wouldn't push my tank that far - remember that fuel also cools and lubricates the fuel pump. My 2002 Corolla low fule lamps comes on when I'm down to about 2-3 gallons left - enough to get me to my usual gas station. My Matrix comes on when I'm down to 1-2 gallons left - so when it lights up, I try to fill up ASAP. Yours might be similar or completely different - really won't know unless you run out of gas.

#3 Bitter

Bitter

Overdrive

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,919 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 12:34 PM

when im in the yellow (no idiot light) i have about 3 gallons left. once it got to the line and i had about 2 gallons left. the scale of the guage seems to drop faster when you get lower on gas, much like the temp needle moves faster on the hot side.

#4 Bikeman982

Bikeman982

Bikeman982

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 03:20 PM

My light comes on at about 285-300 miles, then it goes out for a short time and comes back on. I figure I have about 2-3 gallons of gas left and if I get 29 MPG, I can get 2 or 3 X 29 = 58 to 87 more miles. I don't usually stretch it that far, but I have gone 40 miles with the light on.

#5 gvr4ever

gvr4ever

5th Gear

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 03:41 PM

I've driven for about 20min after the light came on before I found a gas station. I don't think you will get a clear answer as to how many more miles you can go. If you see the light on, get gas asap and try and plan ahead so you never see the light in the first place.

The one time I tried pushing it, the light came on way sooner then I thought it would. I was having a bad tank for whatever reason. It was after we had gotten the car and I was tring to see how far I could go in a tank. I thought I could make it all the way home, but I didn't want to try and push the last 45 miles in stop and go traffic so I stopped and filled up to be safe.

#6 Louisville Slugger

Louisville Slugger

2nd Gear

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 07:16 PM

No light for me. The trip meter reads 380 miles right now. The trip read ~ 350 miles in the parking lot before my trip home from school (gauge read 1/4th of a tank left). Now it's on empty . . . I probably have two gallons left . . . It hit empty about half way through the trip home and it definitely doesn't take a 1/4th of a tank to get 30 miles. I hope I have enough gas to get back to school (~ 30 miles -- mostly highway) on Sunday. I made 400 + miles before in October, no problems and I had two gallons left.

#7 arens

arens

1st Gear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 02:24 AM

Unless I am mistaken my 05 has a 12.9 gallon tank. I drive mostly highway miles and fill up every 450 miles or so. On a regular fillup (3 days to work and back with no side trips) I will get about 10.5 gallons and the low fuel light is not on. If I make any side trips the light will come on within 10 to 20 miles of me filling up with about 11 gallons of gas.

Based on those normal numbers I guess my light comes on with about 2 to 2.2 gallons left.

#8 Bikeman982

Bikeman982

Bikeman982

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 10:30 AM

I checked my gas "Low fuel light" again last night as I drove home from work. The light came on for a second at 293 miles and then went out and it came on again at 305 miles and stayed on. I have 325 miles on the tank, so I am going to fill it up again today before work. I have been putting in just over 10 gallons at each fill-up. That means I have about 3.2 gallons left before the light comes on and stays on.

Edited by Bikeman982, 07 April 2006 - 10:31 AM.

#9 foobar

foobar

3rd Gear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 11:42 AM

once the light comes on and I fillup within driving 10 miles, the tank takes somewhere between 9 and 10 gallons. so, at most I have about 3.2 gallons times 33 mpg (my average), I can go about 100 miles. When the light comes on, the tripmeter is close to 300 miles since the last fillup

#10 Bikeman982

Bikeman982

Bikeman982

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 04:02 PM

once the light comes on and I fillup within driving 10 miles, the tank takes somewhere between 9 and 10 gallons. so, at most I have about 3.2 gallons times 33 mpg (my average), I can go about 100 miles. When the light comes on, the tripmeter is close to 300 miles since the last fillup

I have tried to see how close I could get to reaching a totally empty tank and have been only able to get it just about 11.5 gallons on a fill-up. I am always thinking I am about to run out of gas when the "Low fuel level" light is on. I think it is a psychological device.

#11 Wreckerboy

Wreckerboy

1st Gear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 02:27 PM

Because I am really anal about these things, and because I have found that good records are the best way to maintain a car, I have kept track of every drop of 4130.2 gallons gas that I've put in the car in 140,319 miles (as of the latest log entry 10 days ago).

Overall, I am averaging 33.97 MPG. On average, I drive about 336 miles between fill-ups, which typically happen every three days (I commute 120 miles per day). My math tells me that assuming a 13.2 gallon tank, I am leaving, on average, 112 miles on the table each time I fill up.

It's nerve wracking at first, but I now pay little to no attention to the fool fuel light. It comes on at around 325 miles in typical use. I have stopped for fuel with the needle buried several needle widths below empty and barely managed to put 12.5 gallons in it.

It is important to remember that the pump is cooled by gas flowing through it, and that running the car dry can hurt the pump, which is no doubt expensive and probably a royal PITA to get at (I haven't looked into that yet).

#12 Bikeman982

Bikeman982

Bikeman982

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 07:28 PM

Because I am really anal about these things, and because I have found that good records are the best way to maintain a car, I have kept track of every drop of 4130.2 gallons gas that I've put in the car in 140,319 miles (as of the latest log entry 10 days ago).

Overall, I am averaging 33.97 MPG. On average, I drive about 336 miles between fill-ups, which typically happen every three days (I commute 120 miles per day). My math tells me that assuming a 13.2 gallon tank, I am leaving, on average, 112 miles on the table each time I fill up.

It's nerve wracking at first, but I now pay little to no attention to the fool fuel light. It comes on at around 325 miles in typical use. I have stopped for fuel with the needle buried several needle widths below empty and barely managed to put 12.5 gallons in it.

It is important to remember that the pump is cooled by gas flowing through it, and that running the car dry can hurt the pump, which is no doubt expensive and probably a royal PITA to get at (I haven't looked into that yet).

I keep track of most of my gas as well. There are times I try to max out the tank and the filler tube and end up with it dripping down the side of the car. I like to "round off" the amount I pay for the gas and with the pump handles being stiff, it is difficult to get it to stop right where I want it.