#1 vwgolfist

vwgolfist

1st Gear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 10:25 PM

1.)
when I safetied/inspected my 95 dx, i was told by mechanic that I should budget some money to replace
oil pan along with gasket. It is dripping oil, I can see it on my driveway, and it is starting to bug me, He said
they (oil pans) rot from inside out, because water accumulates at the bottom and oil in the pan goes to the top. I would gladly change it, but I am afraid that he made a mistake and maybe oil is leaking from the oil pump?! Mechanic indicated that he has changed numerous pans not only on toyota's but also on numerous other cars.

I did search these forums, and I found that only one guy has changed GASKET on the oil pan...
Engine looks fine dry on all sides..

2.)
my corolla has original ignition cables and original distributor cap with rotor, starts fine, no problems whatsoever, would you change them or just leave them as is....... (its been 11 years and 193000km)

#2 gvr4ever

gvr4ever

5th Gear

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 10:57 PM

It can happen, but it's kind of rare. Usually, it happens from the oil pan getting hit or something like that.

Jack your car up and look at your drain plug. The seal on that is probably the cause. If your oil pan is rusting, then it is probably time to get a new car, or get to know your mechanics kids names.

#3 Bikeman982

Bikeman982

Bikeman982

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 03:14 AM

1.)
when I safetied/inspected my 95 dx, i was told by mechanic that I should budget some money to replace
oil pan along with gasket. It is dripping oil, I can see it on my driveway, and it is starting to bug me, He said
they (oil pans) rot from inside out, because water accumulates at the bottom and oil in the pan goes to the top. I would gladly change it, but I am afraid that he made a mistake and maybe oil is leaking from the oil pump?! Mechanic indicated that he has changed numerous pans not only on toyota's but also on numerous other cars.

I did search these forums, and I found that only one guy has changed GASKET on the oil pan...

2.)
my corolla has original ignition cables and original distributor cap with rotor, starts fine, no problems whatsoever, would you change them or just leave them as is....... (its been 11 years and 193000km)

What I would do is to give your oil pan and the bottom of the engine a good cleaning and then observe where the oil is actually leaking from. It may be the pan, a loose bolt, the gasket or something else. I would see if all the oil pan bolts are correctly tightened. I usually only change the oil pan gasket when I take the oil pan off. If the bolts are correctly tightened when a new gasket is installed it should not leak.
Look at the recommended intervals in the manuals for tune-ups and replacing of the parts you mention. Sure you can just keep driving for another 193000km and hope that nothing goes wrong, but eventually parts will wear out. Consider yourself fortunate that it still starts and runs without having changed anything.

Edited by Bikeman982, 30 January 2006 - 03:15 AM.

#4 reyt32

reyt32

2nd Gear

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 06:18 AM

g'day,

recently disassemble the lower oil pan on my corolla 7Afe engine and reseal it w/ rtv silicone blue sealant. i attempted to disassemble the upper oil pan but it entails lot of work but instead retighten them, actually got 1/2 turn of the bolts to tighten them up. the result i still got an oil leak. i still suspect the job i had done is not proper because i still see dribble of oil on the oil pan.

i decided to bring it to the dealer (southside toyota) and done a thorough check on it and found out that the crankshaft seal is leaking and also the timing belt is contaminated w/ oil. they replace the crankshaft,camshaft seal and the timing belt and had a thorough test on it and the oil leak is gone. even though i paid big money on it i feel proud on the oil pan job that i had done. one irritating experience on the oil pan job is the sealant sticks like it does'nt want to part w/ the engine. you must have a proper prying tools to avoid nicking the mating surfaces.

try to check if there is oil leaking at the back of the crankshaft pulley if it is totally dry the oil pan needs resealing. if there is traces of oil i bet that your engine seals are leaking.

just a unsolicited advise go for the original seals , my engine seals was replaced 50,000 km ago w/ a dayco kit and the savings for buying the part cheap turns out to be an expensive lesson for me.

good luck.

rey t (brisbane, australia)

#5 cooljw

cooljw

Neutral

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 05:20 PM

Yes oil pan gaskets do occasionally leak and need to be replaced. It is also sometimes difficult to tell exactly what is leaking, in which case second and third opinions (in the form of free repair estimates) are invaluable.

I had a '95 Honda Accord that needed the oil pan gasket replaced due to leaks. An unscrupulous repair shop told me it was actually the filter leaking, and charged me for an oil change/filter. Two Honda dealers correctly diagnosed that it was the gasket and I got it fixed at one of them. The gaskets themselves are cheap, it's the labor that is really expensive for this job if you have someone else do it.

#6 Bikeman982

Bikeman982

Bikeman982

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 10:41 PM

g'day,

recently disassemble the lower oil pan on my corolla 7Afe engine and reseal it w/ rtv silicone blue sealant. i attempted to disassemble the upper oil pan but it entails lot of work but instead retighten them, actually got 1/2 turn of the bolts to tighten them up. the result i still got an oil leak. i still suspect the job i had done is not proper because i still see dribble of oil on the oil pan.

i decided to bring it to the dealer (southside toyota) and done a thorough check on it and found out that the crankshaft seal is leaking and also the timing belt is contaminated w/ oil. they replace the crankshaft,camshaft seal and the timing belt and had a thorough test on it and the oil leak is gone. even though i paid big money on it i feel proud on the oil pan job that i had done. one irritating experience on the oil pan job is the sealant sticks like it does'nt want to part w/ the engine. you must have a proper prying tools to avoid nicking the mating surfaces.

try to check if there is oil leaking at the back of the crankshaft pulley if it is totally dry the oil pan needs resealing. if there is traces of oil i bet that your engine seals are leaking.

just a unsolicited advise go for the original seals , my engine seals was replaced 50,000 km ago w/ a dayco kit and the savings for buying the part cheap turns out to be an expensive lesson for me.

good luck.

rey t (brisbane, australia)

What did changing the crankshaft seal entail (other than a hefty repair bill)?

#7 vwgolfist

vwgolfist

1st Gear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 12:43 PM

thanks all!

#8 Bikeman982

Bikeman982

Bikeman982

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 07:57 PM

Yes oil pan gaskets do occasionally leak and need to be replaced. It is also sometimes difficult to tell exactly what is leaking, in which case second and third opinions (in the form of free repair estimates) are invaluable.

I had a '95 Honda Accord that needed the oil pan gasket replaced due to leaks. An unscrupulous repair shop told me it was actually the filter leaking, and charged me for an oil change/filter. Two Honda dealers correctly diagnosed that it was the gasket and I got it fixed at one of them. The gaskets themselves are cheap, it's the labor that is really expensive for this job if you have someone else do it.

What I usually do is to give the oil pan and the bottom of the engine a good cleaning and then observe where the oil is actually leaking from. Sometimes it becomes obvious and can be fixed without too much trouble or expense.

#9 winks

winks

Neutral

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 02:16 PM

What I usually do is to give the oil pan and the bottom of the engine a good cleaning and then observe where the oil is actually leaking from. Sometimes it becomes obvious and can be fixed without too much trouble or expense.

Just thought I would bring this thread back alive as I think I have a similar problem....

I just changed the oil on my 93 Corolla ~130K miles and noticed I have an oil leak. At first I thought it was the drain plug (gasket) or possibly the oil filter was not seated/sealed, but after cleaning the area as much as possible that's not the problem. It's doesn't appear to be the oil pan "gasket" either (i.e seal between the steel pan and the engine). From what I can tell, the leak is emanating from a rusted area on the oil pan itself, right above the drain plug.
Is this possible? Does anyone know of a case where the oil pan rusted right through?

On a related note -any advice on a reputable place to purchase a replacement oil pan would be appreciated as well!
Thanks
Steve

Edited by winks, 09 May 2007 - 02:17 PM.

#10 buurin

buurin

4th Gear

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 02:44 PM

Is this possible? Does anyone know of a case where the oil pan rusted right through?

On a related note -any advice on a reputable place to purchase a replacement oil pan would be appreciated as well!
Thanks
Steve

:o Not unless the oil pan had taken enough neglect to have bare metal exposure.

On buying a replacement pan I'm thinking:

1-dealer
2-1sttoyotaparts.com or some other dealer-run site
3-junkyard

#11 TRCar54

TRCar54

4th Gear

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 07:43 AM

I can't speak to Toyotas having the rotting oil pan problems but oil pan and diff cover rotting is quite common on many American cars.

I had a 1989 Jeep Cherokee whose pan rotted through, my 2000 Cherokee pan is showing signs as well as my Plymouth Voyager minivan with Mitsu engine.

Ford trucks have had significant diff cover rot issues.

1.)

2.)

#12 PandaBear

PandaBear

1st Gear

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 04:46 PM

Hey guys, sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I really need some opinion.

I'm trying to replace the oil pan gasket on my 95 Corolla 3spd auto with 4AFE engine. I've done this on my Integra before and thought that it would be just as easy, but boy I was wrong.

In order to take the pan out, I have to take not only the plastic splash shield/belly pan, but also the center cross member and the exhaust front pipe (between the pre cat and the secondary cat). The cross member cannot be removed unless you unbolt the rear transmission mount, and it is blocked by the power steering system. I tried loosening the mount and lift the engine up a bit, but the entire car would be lifted along.

Oh, the stiffener plate that bind the engine and the transmission together has a bolt that won't be reachable unless you either drop the center cross member or lift the engine up. The only way to do it right now is to drop the sub frame of the car, or disconnect a few (2 or more I think) engine mount and lift the engine / transmission, up slightly.

I'm thinking about giving up and live with the leak, after spending 4 evening trying to get it to come off.

For those of you who have done it in the past, how did you take it out? On the equivalent of the 7AFE 1.8L engine, it is the equivalent of replacing the upper oil pan gasket.

For those who go to the shop and have them replace it, how much was the labor (how many hours)?

#13 Bitter

Bitter

Overdrive

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 07:07 PM

i see a fair number of seeping toyota oil pans at work, mostly on the V6's though. its just a silicone gasket material that seals them into place and its easy to do at home.

#14 Bikeman982

Bikeman982

Bikeman982

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 02:31 AM

I'm trying to replace the oil pan gasket on my 95 Corolla 3spd auto with 4AFE engine. I've done this on my Integra before and thought that it would be just as easy, but boy I was wrong.

In order to take the pan out, I have to take not only the plastic splash shield/belly pan, but also the center cross member and the exhaust front pipe (between the pre cat and the secondary cat). The cross member cannot be removed unless you unbolt the rear transmission mount, and it is blocked by the power steering system. I tried loosening the mount and lift the engine up a bit, but the entire car would be lifted along.

Oh, the stiffener plate that bind the engine and the transmission together has a bolt that won't be reachable unless you either drop the center cross member or lift the engine up. The only way to do it right now is to drop the sub frame of the car, or disconnect a few (2 or more I think) engine mount and lift the engine / transmission, up slightly.

I'm thinking about giving up and live with the leak, after spending 4 evening trying to get it to come off.

For those of you who have done it in the past, how did you take it out? On the equivalent of the 7AFE 1.8L engine, it is the equivalent of replacing the upper oil pan gasket.

For those who go to the shop and have them replace it, how much was the labor (how many hours)?

The 1.8L 7A-FE engine does not have the aluminum stiffener plate.
I haven't changed an oil pan when the engine is still installed.
I have changed them on engines before I put them in a car, or after I have pulled an engine out.
Can you just drop the pan without removing it and scraping the old gasket off and putting the new gasket around the oil pan (rotate it as necessary)??

#15 Bikeman982

Bikeman982

Bikeman982

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 02:34 AM

The 1.8L 7A-FE engine does not have the aluminum stiffener plate.
I haven't changed an oil pan when the engine is still installed.
I have changed them on engines before I put them in a car, or after I have pulled an engine out.
Can you just drop the pan without removing it and scraping the old gasket off and putting the new gasket around the oil pan (rotate it as necessary)??
You can just take the bolts off the front of the cross brace and lower it enough to give space between it and the oil pan.
What is the upper oil pan gasket??

Edited by Bikeman982, 31 May 2009 - 02:37 AM.