Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Gear Shift Light Out

Guest kintz

The backlight on my 97's (automatic) gear shift went out. What's the best procedure for getting under the shift cover, to the bulb to see if that's the problem (and replace it)?

Thanks!

CK

Guest drummerart1983

Same problem here, my gear shift light is out... I would love to fix this problem.

Art

Guest PitScorpion

As is mine. Anyone know how to so this?

Here ya go. I posted this before but it's been long enough that it's been deleted. I lifted it from another message board.

Replacing the gear position bulb in a '97 Corolla automatic.

UNPLUG THE BATTERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAIT FOR ABOUT 5 MINS BEFORE PULLING THE CAR APART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU'LL BE WORKING WITH YOUR HEAD RIGHT BY BOTH AIRBAGS... The car has a 2 min power capacitor that'll store power for that short time then after that you should be ok to pull it apart and not have to be worried about the air bags going off...

All was completed with 3 simple hand tools... a 10mm socket with extension, philips screw driver, and 90 degree pic tool(Similar to a dentist tooth tool)

It starts at the shroud around the shift knob... I pulled that off then removed the three screws in the cubby hole at the rear of the center console. Then the two screws one on each side... of the center console... Then I removed the glove box (4 10 MM BOLTS? I THINK? Then like 4 philips screws as well) Then I removed the drivers side knee pannel (3 10mm bolts maybe 2? then 3 philips screws maybe 2?) Then the center trim that holds the cigarette lighter pops off after removing 2 screws I think? (SORRY For not remembering EVERY DETAIL But I posted this right after I did it and it didn't post and I just got time to post it now almost a week later...) Then theres 4 SCREWS! haha (remembered that one) holding the cubby in place this should be removed then theres 2 screws one on each side of the front center console holding that in place... Then pull that front half of the center console out... (BE CAREFUL OF THE GEAR SHIFT KNOB BUTTON... As I slid the shift lever up the lil knob/ button came poping out... I put this back in by sticking my finger in the hole (hehehe) and holding down the lil green plastic piece that activates the shift lever you can get the button back in there by holding the green clip down then holding it there with your pic tool as you slide the button back in light up the pic with the spring then...TEST IT MAKE SURE IT WORKS)Then the gear position box has 3 screws holding it down. I removed those and the 4 clips 2 on each side I just slid the pic tool down and unclicked one and it did the other one on that side and I just repeated for the other side... This gave me access to the light bulb... a clear 158 bulb... They were less that $3 for 2 and the whole install took me about 3 hours... maybe It didn't need to all come apart but I felt as though it worked for me!!

Reinstall is just the opposite of the way it all came apart!! GOOD LUCK ANYONE WHO ATTEMPTS THIS! I give it a 2 on a 1-10 scale of difficulty just because it was all easy but just took some time thats all.

The guy seems overly enthusiastic if you ask me.... default_dry .

BTW, I believe the "pic tool" mentioned should be "pick tool".

Topic List