Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Moving Seats Back

by Chad_G_77, January 20, 2005

Chad_G_77

Hey all... I've got an '05 Sport and I'm 6'4" tall. So as you can imagine I'm pressed for room in my corolla. I was wondering if there was a way to move the seats back further. Is there a way you can unbolt the seat and slide it back some and then bolt it back down? ANybody ever done anything to their Corolla to give you more leg room?

A buddy of mine has a 94' Corolla. He is 6'7" and 350 lbs. He was able to remove some sort of stop on the rails of the seat so he can slide it back farther. He also reclines the seat back pretty far. I am not sure about a 05' set up.

i am 5'9' and i still have a problem with leg room,

this is the biggest fault of the newer corollas.

I do not know how safe it would be to move the chair back,,,

make sure it is done proplerly other wise you may find yourself and

the chair go through the windshield in a collision.

Next time buy a honda civic, they are really more comfortable

or a mazda.

You must have pretty long legs then because I'm 5'10 and I'm ok (although there isn't much room left). I don't think you'd risk going through the windshield because of modding the seat as the seatbelt it anchored directly to the frame IIRC. Still, it's probably not such a good idea either.

You must have pretty long legs then because I'm 5'10 and I'm ok (although there isn't much room left). I don't think you'd risk going through the windshield because of modding the seat as the seatbelt it anchored directly to the frame IIRC. Still, it's probably not such a good idea either.

having sat in an older corolla, newer honda, older 626,

The 03 corolla has the most uncomfortable driving position.

Honda has a comfortable poistion, I don't know if this is a racing

position but gives alot of leg room and seat travel and

the steering wheel is not too far of a reach.

I'm just a shade under 6 feet and own an '03 Corolla LE. Legroom is a bit of an issue, for some reason, the pedals seem to be way too high off the floor. I wonder why they do that? At least the Corolla's accelerator isn't located way too far to the left, which is another common and annoying defect in they way automobile interiors have been designed in the last 30 years or so. The minimal legroom doesn't really bother me much in my typically short daily trips, but on a long journey I have to take my shoes off just to eliminate the extra 3/4" or so that the soles of the shoes take away from my total legroom! I've gotten so that the only way I can drive on a long trip is shoeless -- I get better "feel" of the accelerator and brake in my unshod feet which is good for times when I have to drive "manually" without the cruise control engaged when in heavy traffic, bad road conditions, etc.

A bigger problem for me is the fact that the steering wheel is too far away, but considering the air bag, I live with it.

Another driver's ergonomics issue is the steering itself. It seems to be almost too tight -- the wheel simply cannot be moved at all at highway speeds without "tossing" the car. I think a slightly looser on-center feel would go a long way toward improving the Corolla's highway handling. Anyone care to comment?

i think the handling and positioning/ergonomics of the corolla

are the worst among all automakers.

I just don't understand why toyota went out of the way to make

the corolla unsporty in feel and comfort. I have noticed that except

for the new sienna, which has a telescoping steering wheel,

other models are also very uncomfortable.

I believe some manufactureres like even GM !!! have made adjustable

pedals and telescoping steering wheels.

My corolla handles more poorly than my chrysler minivan with

the hypersensitive steering feel.

What I also can't understand is why the 98 corollas, the older corollas

have more leg room and longer steering wheels that make them more comfortable.

Guest ChoBaka

On a somewhat related note, I feel that the depressing state of leg room in the new Corollas was actually one of the causes of an accident I got into a few days ago. As I am 6'1", if I wear long/big shoes my right leg scrapes the bottom of the steering wheel, even with the wheel tilted all the way up and the seat pushed all the way back. So I tried driving after taking off my shoes, which did improve things quite a bit but seemed somewhat unsafe. So I started using a pair of flat, snugly fitting adidas to drive and everything seemed ok (although still a bit precarious).

It's really stupid that the brake pedal (esp.) is so high off the ground. Since I'm not a very good driver (haven't been driving that long) I am still learning the ins and outs of driving, and having my leg almost scrape the steering wheel when braking leads me to brake very cautiously. Needless to say, I was in a situation where I needed to slam on the brakes hard to avoid an accident, and fearing that I'd scrape the steering wheel while braking and veer off into oncoming traffic, I managed to stop a little after hitting someone else. I've got nearly $1400 USD in repair bills coming my way (although insurance is taking care of $900 of it, I'm sure to see greatly increased premiums come next insurance billing cycle).

I just bought the car 3 weeks ago...for nearly $3000 off sticker price (which was great). $1400 of that great deal has just been negated due to what I feel was a combination of my poor driving skills (being a beginner) and poor design on the part of Toyota. Of course, if I were a driving expert none of this would've happened, so shame on me for buying a new car as a beginning driver. default_sad

I have a Corolla 04 and have abit of a problem concerning leg room as well. Im about 6'1-6'2.

Hopefully there's a way to adjust this. That be great.

Chad_G_77

Has anybody ever taken a look at how the seat is mounted to the rails on the floor of the car? I definitely don't want to do something that would pose a safety hazard. However, if there is a way to unbolt something... slide the seat back... and bolt it back down, that would be awesome. Safety is #1 though. I wouldn't want to do something that would slip and cause the seat to possibly go forward.

On a separate note... I don't see how I could fly forward seeing as how the seatbelt locks when the slightest pressure is applied to the brakes. This is nice during hard braking but a little annoying when you're gently slowing down and need to lean forward to look out the side window.

Topic List