Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Recall on numerous hybrids

By Dave, August 7, 2019 in Toyotas that aren’t Corollas

• 320 posts

Toyota is recalling the 2019 Lexus LS500, LC500, ES300h, UX250h, LS500h, Toyota Prius, RAV4 HV, 2019-2020 Toyota Prius Prime, and 2020 Corolla HV, because the brake booster pump may fail. This would cut off brake assist and deactivate the stability control. The recall, slated to start on September 9, involves replacing the pump.

Toyota owners may contact Toyota customer service at 1-888-270-9371 and Lexus owners may contact Lexus customer service at 1-800-255-3987. Toyota's numbers for this recall are K1L/K0L. Lexus' numbers for this recall are K2F/KLF.

Not all vehicles will get new pumps, and not all these vehicles were sold in the US. Toyota wrote: “Although the involved vehicles are within the above production period range, not all vehicles in this range were sold in the U.S. (2) Only vehicles in the above production range which had a brake booster pump containing a plastic brush holder produced with an improper shape discussed below could be affected. Note: Based on production records during the specific manufacturing process discussed below, Toyota estimates approximately 25% of the vehicle population may contain a brake booster pump which was manufactured with inappropriate parts.”

From the federal record:

In late May 2019, warning lights were found illuminated on certain vehicles during a final inspection process for braking and/or while driving from the final inspection line to the vehicle yard at certain Toyota manufacturing plants. Toyota inspected these vehicles and found Diagnostic Trouble Codes related to the brake booster pump. Toyota and the supplier investigated the recovered brake booster pumps. The brush holder within the pump motor was found to be out-of-specification. The supplier found that a component of the upper mold of the die at one of two molding facilities used to produce brush holders was replaced on April 11, 2019, creating this condition. If the brush holder is out-of-specification, the Vehicle Stability Control system may become deactivated. (In addition, the Regenerative Brake, Antilock Brake, Electronic Brake force Distribution, Traction Control, Brake Assist, Brake Hold, Pre-Crash Brake, Adaptive Cruise Control, Intuitive Parking Assist, Intelligent Clearance Sonar, Emergency Stop Signal and Active Cornering Assist system will also become deactivated for certain vehicles, and for some vehicle models, the Electrical Parking Brake system function will also be limited.)

A few months ago I was thinking about getting either a Toyota Prius Prime or a Lexus ES300h. My old vehicle held on for a while longer, and reading this made me extra happy it did. 

I wonder if this affected the Toyota stock?

Topic List: Go to Toyotas that aren’t Corollas