Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By typo, May 13, 2019

This is from a 2004 Pontiac Vibe (I spend most of my time creeping around corolla forums, more support) with the 1ZZ-FE engine, FWD. Part is about 2.5'tall and 2' in diameter. Best guess if from a motor mount but I can't see for sure where it would come into play, nor have i seen anything in Haynes or Service Manual yet. 

For Background:

Since last winter I have been slowly working on a clutch and head gasket. So all pulleys, motor mounts, subframe and exhaust have come off and are now working their way back on. In full disassembly I moved about 75 miles and had it on a trailer. not until I first popped the hood after the move did this little gem fall out.

Additional information:

Along with those repairs I have done several other things: Gas Tank repair, Filler Neck, Catalytic Converter replacement, both 02 Sensors, all Brake Pads/Shoes/Rotors/Drums/Calipers, front and rear Shocks and Struts, Lower Control Arm Bushings, Tie Rods, Vavles, Valve Guides/Seals, Timing Chain/Guides/Tensioner, Oil Pump, Water Pump, Thermostat, Coolant Temp Sensor, PCV, Flywheel, and all applicable Gaskets/Seals, Spark Plugs, Air/Oil filter, all Fluids. In addition, I've replaced all interior Seats/Trim/Carpet/Headliner/Rear Hatch except for Dash. Remote Start, other Audio and Lighting Wiring. So there is a lot going on, hard to narrow down just based on what I've been into. 

Any help, very, very appreciated. 

Doesn't appear to be a motor mount to me.  Looks more like one of the rubber bumpers that attach to the hood or even possibly part of the radiator mount (vibration isolator).  Could also be something that sits next to the hood release latch to help push up the hood.

Since the Vibe has some parts that are not interchangeable with the Toyota Matrix clone - totally possible GM tried to shoehorn something from their parts bin in there that I'm not familiar with.

But unless the car is driving or running erratically, I wouldn't worry too much about it at this moment - sounds like you have other stuff to worry about.

Bikeman982

It looks like it could be a rubber stopper that keeps the hood from slamming down too far.  You probably had two near the front at one time and this one fell off. It doesn't cause any serious problems if it is not there, maybe a hood rattle.  Just my guess.

Topic List