Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

More RAV4 issue

by cirrus, October 30, 2018 in Toyotas that aren’t Corollas

Well guess they dont make em like they used to. My buddies new suv has some serious issues and now my 2015 LE AWD had a drops of oil on the floor. I looked...hmmm engine oil on the motor/tranny housing but I couldnt see where it was coming from. It was just one spot where as the rest of the motor/tranny was very clean. Dealer said it was the rear main seal. But not sure exactly what seal they mean in this vehicle.

But what would cause this seal to start leaking at 72,000 miles?

Thanks

Hmm, that is pretty unusual, haven't heard of oil leaking on the from the rear seal.  Not something that seems to be an issue, even on the rav4world forums.  

The low oil vicosity that they spec for the engine may be partly to blame - thinner oil will find a way out of the engine eventually.

I'll clean that area up really well and monitor for oil leaks.  

Hey fish....yea I did clean it up...twice and road tested it. Within 5 miles it was showing a leak. Damn. So the shop looked at it and said....almost sure its a rear main seal. They then diagnosed it and said yes it was that. I was floored as the possible reasons for that...none are good. So they took it apart and showed me it was leaking there. They have been great to me over the years so did the job pretty cheaply. But....its not the money that bothered me....its....why did this happen? Is there play/excessive run out in the crank causing the seal to move or wear? Would the PVC system cause this if it was clogged? Just a bad day for the person who put the seal in? Or just a bad seal? Its small thin thing too. I had plans of keeping this for 150K or more but not off to a good start here. Thanks!

Yeah, could be any of the above, or combination of them.  Sometimes you can get lucky/unlucky with these things.  Sounds like you just caught an unlucky break on the seal.  

Still, after being fixed, should be able to drive it until you get tired of the car. Toyota did make a number of improvements to this generation of Rav4 compared to the previous generation (still hotly debated though).  I have both a 2009 and 2016 Rav4s - if you could combine the two, that would make a pretty nice vehicle. Both (knock on wood) have been pretty reliable, aside from some shoddy recall work done by the dealership. 

Hope you are right. I'm a bit worried maybe its not going to be like our other Toys. Now the passenger seat has a rattle in it. Just might be this one was built on a Monday though the 2018 Rolla they gave me as a loaner with 5000 miles on it had several loud rattles. Guess they dont build them like they used to. One thing that did go away....that clicking sound when back it up. That was gone after the seal was fixed. Now I did have them rotate the tires too but makes me wonder if it was something with seal repair?

I really like the RAV a lot.....though I still dont like the pedal positions Toy uses on their Rollas/Ravs. I'm only 5'6 but the pedals feel like they are to close and the seat doesnt go far enough back. And  the touch screen radio.....I cant believe the slide bar they use when using the USB port doesnt work using your finger. Only the wheel/ radio buttons will FF through a MP3 and its way to slow!!! I listen to several "car /garden" shows and some are 2 hours long so I want to listen to the 2nd half at another time. But once you leave that file going back starts it over. With the slider working with your finger would be perfect. 

Topic List: Go to Toyotas that aren’t Corollas