Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2001 corolla oil burn problem

by videoluvr, June 29, 2018

I have heard some very bad things about the engine in a corolla. I have a 2001 and wondering if mine may cause issues?  I use 5-30 Castrol gtx in it and have since I bought it.

I have heard some very bad things about the engine in a corolla. I have a 2001 and wondering if mine may cause issues?  I use 5-30 Castrol gtx in it and have since I bought it.

This car's a twin to Chevy Prizm, which is what I learned to drive on (Prizm). The engine's not the best Toyota engine, but it's not a terrible engine, according to what I've heard/read. The cars with this engine are prone to problems with the evaporation system and after a certain number of miles, to burn oil. I have seen cars with this engine get 200k+, but I've read they need to have their maintenance or they might throw rods. Here's a  1ZZ-FE (used in '98 to '08 Corollas and their mechanical twins) high mileage Corolla video. So maybe the bad stories were oil burning, engine lights (they tend to have a lot of steady check engine issues, like those evap issues mentioned above) or people that didn't care for their car properly. 

• Like 1

The only problem I have had with the car is a check engine light that ended up being a non Toyota gas cap and that's it. Of course brakes,oil,battery wiper blades all normal maintenance items and 103000 miles. Thanks for the reply. I really do appreciate it.

• 110 posts

My 2003 Toyota Corolla CE has over 299,999 miles. The odometer for 9th gen and related Pruis stopped at that number.

Earlier 1ZZ-FE (8th gen Corollas) did not have a bad oil ring on piston, and did consume oil. I think there was an open warranty or tech bulletin for that. 

WOW,  That's amazing" I hope I get that much with mine. I do take good care of it but little things are starting to go bad. Just bolt on stuff that can be easily be found.  Oh well, I guess I shouls save for a new motor"

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)