Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Proper Tire Pressure

by 03toyola, January 13, 2005

anyone know what is the proper tire pressure for 03 corolla LE? does it vary depending on the brand of the tire?

Guest goldeneye

Yes, tire pressure depends on the type of tire. The best way to find out what the pressure should be on your car is to open the driver-side door and look for a label near where the door latches are located. I believe it is 30 psi on all four tires.

Like goldeneye mentioned - tire pressures are dependant on the type of tire. You should also take into account the type of driving conditions, how the car is driven, what you want out of the tire (performance-wise).

I drive mostly highway - long commutes to work and back. So I crank up the tire pressures to what the max cold PSI rating that is stamped onto the tire itself. Dealer always bleed the tires down to the rating on the door jam or glovebox placard. Which is good for all around driving - but for highway, you want to keep the pressure up. Stabilizes the tire carcass, reduce tire temperatures, and overall rolling resistance which in turn gives you better higway MPG.

Best way is to play with tire pressures until you find one that works for you - no preset "proper" tire pressure for everyone.

Good Luck.

Max

In my 03, the tire pressure recommendation is stamped in my glove box, and it is 30 ft. lbs. front and rear for OEM tire. Still, as others have said, that's not gospel. Just don't exceed the maximum pressure.

i thought it would be a bad idea to pump it to the max allowed cuz on freeway driving, you're expected to heat up the tires and add maybe 2psi, wouldn't that cause you to be more prone to blowout?

Nope - that rating is for max "cold" pressure. The tire manufacturers have already factored in the added heat at speed. Actually at the higher pressure - the tire is less likely to overheat than a tire with too low air pressure.

Guest model1822

I thought 35 psi was max?

That would be best for mpg.

My Integritys indicate Max: 44psi. I think my Michelin Arctics are the same.

The label in the glovebox indicates Recommended 30psi.

I like the idea of better mileage from higher tire pressure, but would'ne tracktion suffer? Also wouldn't the tire tend to wear too much only in the middle?

My Nokian tires has a max pressure of 50psi....no way I will be running that. I have been keeping it at around 35. High enough to get decent fuel economy and firmer ride, but yet not too high that lacks traction in the snow or during corners.

30 for the road tires - 60 for the compact spare.

I like the idea of better mileage from higher tire pressure, but would'ne tracktion suffer? Also wouldn't the tire tend to wear too much only in the middle?

Only if you inflate above the max cold air inflation stamped on the side of the tire. The tire at max cold pressure was designed to create a full tire contact patch. You actually have quite a bit of flexibility with the tire pressure to get decent traction. Best way is to experiement with the pressures until you get a good compromise between fuel economy and ride quality.

Guest xcel

Hi All:

___50 #’s in the Integrity’s here. No, you do not get uneven or increased wear from running up that high. I lost 5-6/32nd’s after just 30K at 35 #’s all around and 3-4/32nd’s over the next 36K miles when running at 50 #’s. I had some edge wear at that 30K mark. This ceased once I bumped them up to 50 #’s. Burst pressures are far in excess of 100 #’s in case anyone wants to know. Faster turn in, far greater fuel economy, slightly longer braking distances, and a rougher ride are the result.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Topic List