Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By yobry1, May 5, 2017 in Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm

My corolla speedometer is reading accurate speed while driving as I used a gps speed/trip app on my phone a few days ago bcause I noticed last weekend visiting my mom who lives exactly 50 miles from my house, the round trip reading on my odometer was 125 miles instead of 100 like it always showed in the past. Last summer I was driving home from Urgent care coz I hadn't had much sleep in 4 days from neck and shoulder pain and about 200ft from my driveway I fell asleep at the wheel and went thru neighbors chainlink fence in a field at about 30mph and car went over smooth creek rocks(Stoney Creek is the name of the community I live in) and it damaged my front bumper a little and I had to replace my tranny pan. After replacing pan, filter, gasket, it runs and drives just fine except for odometer reading being off. Sometimes it's off by 25%, other times off by 30%. Any ideas what may have happened, why the odometer is off yet the speedo is fine?

Odo is ran off the speedo signal, could be the odo motor has began to fail, unrelated to the damage to the front/bottom of the car. Get a new used cluster and just manually roll the miles to match yours, it's tedious but do-able.

Odo is ran off the speedo signal, could be the odo motor has began to fail, unrelated to the damage to the front/bottom of the car. Get a new used cluster and just manually roll the miles to match yours, it's tedious but do-able.
That's what I thought I'd have to do. Thanx for your reply.

Yea, sorry there's not a simpler better option. The speedo/odometer portion just unscrews from the cluster once you take the bezel off. You can play with it off the car to change the miles to what you need them to be, a good time to inspect the solder joints. You may be able to swap just the bad parts from one to another, I never took one apart that far. There's also places that'll repair them if you send it out.

Topic List: Go to Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm