Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2007 Corolla Idle Problem

By drewwarntjes, November 20, 2016

I just purchased this vehicle with 87k miles. The vehicle was in a wreck and fixed at body shop, however I dont believe that has to do with my problem. I am having Idle surging in park. Idle starts at 1200 drops slowly drops below 800, then revs back up to 1200 and drops again. This first became very noticeable on the first cold wet day starting this winter 32 F. I suspect it is the Intake Manifold Gasket, but would love some advice to trouble shoot before I replace that because I am not mechanically inclined. This is a link to video I took.

Yes, the original intake manifold gasket does leak over time. It leads to a lean condition (P0171) and erratic idle, especially when cold. Replace with revised orange silicone gasket only.

Toyota # 17171-22060 or Victor Reinz MS19590.

Ok, so I still havent replaced the IMF gasket however it now doesn't rev as high as before, to about 1000 now. Its gotten a lot colder here too and is well below freezing without much difference in performance. My question now is why wouldn't my check engine light be on if it is the Intake Manifold Gasket leaking. My gas mileage checks in at almost 30mpg. The toyota dealership quoted me 2 hours labor to replace which would amount to about 250 bucks. Just looking for advice before I go spending money because I don't have very much of it. Thanks,

Andrew

Ok, so I still havent replaced the IMF gasket however it now doesn't rev as high as before, to about 1000 now. Its gotten a lot colder here too and is well below freezing without much difference in performance. My question now is why wouldn't my check engine light be on if it is the Intake Manifold Gasket leaking. My gas mileage checks in at almost 30mpg. The toyota dealership quoted me 2 hours labor to replace which would amount to about 250 bucks. Just looking for advice before I go spending money because I don't have very much of it. Thanks,

Andrew

My intake manifold gasket was causing my high idle (and surging when cold) 2000-2200 RPM on cold days I checked my idle air valve and it wasn't gummed up it was a bit dirty but moving freely. once i changed the gasket my car Is completely normal on a cold start no more high rev or surging.

Your idle is much lower than mine. In my opinion there's a good chance its the gasket or the idle air valve gummed up . The gasket should be 15-20 dollars CAD ,the idle air can be had for 40-70 Cad depending on if you get oem or not.. The idle air valve can also be cleaned and reused (videos on youtube). If you search how to replace the intake manifold gasket on youtube its not that big of a deal it took me only 45 minutes and i have never done it before , you only need a few different sized sockets and an extension. 10 MM and 12 mm i believe if you do not remove the throttle body but if you want the shop to do the gasket install .for $250 for the gasket install then your getting ripped off it should not take them over an hour labor to do it ,id say 30 mins tops for a competent mechanic. in his defense he may have just been covering his bases in case it involves more work than he thought.

Dom I used a black felpro gasket since that's all the parts store had. Do you Think it's equal to the revised OEM?

Dom I used a black felpro gasket since that's all the parts store had. Do you Think it's equal to the revised OEM?

No it's not. Felpro's gasket is like the one you already had.

That sucks it did look the same as my original but I read something about them being made differently than the original OEM gaskets ahh well it will likely outlast the car anyways and if not I know to order OEM next time. Thanks for the info

That sucks it did look the same as my original but I read something about them being made differently than the original OEM gaskets ahh well it will likely outlast the car anyways and if not I know to order OEM next time. Thanks for the info

OEM would again be the same black gasket which is still available from Toyota... Make sure you get orange silicone gasket # 17171-22060, or Victor Reinz # MS19590.

I knew there was an updated gasket but the parts place didn't have anything different than the felpro. was hoping this one was the updated one but in black lol. I guess it's not. But I'm not sure if I'll have to worry about it unless my car lasts 4 or 5 more years which is not likely.

After all this i finally realized that the idle surges only when the radiator fan kicks on. If i am sitting in park no idle surge until i turn on heater. Is this normal, a sign of bad ground or alernator?

Although it is normal, it's much much subdued since my ground upgrade.

Howdy! Ever figured out if it has bad ground?

Try leaving it on floor heat only.

The fan runs when the compressor turns on to defrost your windows.

Then the idle will increase until the compressor cycles off again.

Now try turning on the air conditioning and see if you can recreate the problem.

this is normal.

• 110 posts

My 2003 Toyota Corolla CE has this same condition. Thanks for the post and others for solution.

One thing I would like to add is voltage is not steady either.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)