Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Rear Brakes

By Burned, November 20, 2016

• 15 posts

I skimmed through the forum looking for ideas on brake brands. I just ordered Centric Premium shoes and drums for the wife's Corolla from RockAuto. Up here in the Great White North they like to screw us on pricing.

The last set of drums and shoes I put on her car were Raybestos Premium and they only lasted 2.5 years. Quite disappointing to say the least.

Thanks for your help on recommendations.

Are Toyota Genuine shoes worth it?

Nothing wrong with OEM shoes. I actually got Toyota OEM brake shoes from my dealership for about $20 a set - actually cheaper than aftermarket. Almost a 100K on the original set when I changed them - not even 1/3 worn compared to the new shoes. But I do a lot of highway driving - so your mileage may vary.

$20-ish?

which dealer? on ebay prices are between 40 and 50 for 0449502090

Local Toyota dealership - Leesburg, VA. Got than a few years ago - $22 for a rear set.

Make sure when you get parts from the parts counter - ask for the "cash" price. Generally that is significantly less than MSRP that they usually sell the parts for - dealership still makes their margin on that part at the "cash" price, so they are not losing any money. Sometimes, they will give you the price - sometimes, they just look at you funny - depends on the parts counter person.

Some like http://www.1sttoyotaparts.com/- OEM parts that are usually priced a lot better than dealerships - assuming that you can't get the discounted prices at the local dealerships.

Fish, that is ridiculously cheap...I've never heard of anyone asking for the cash price. Are you a frequent customer there?

That website advertises the shoes for 40, but S&H eat up savings.

Did you get a new rear hardware kit?

• 15 posts
Nothing wrong with OEM shoes. I actually got Toyota OEM brake shoes from my dealership for about $20 a set - actually cheaper than aftermarket. Almost a 100K on the original set when I changed them - not even 1/3 worn compared to the new shoes. But I do a lot of highway driving - so your mileage may vary.

Wow, the local Toyota stealership wants $95+tax.

Topic List