Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Pcv Valve Replacement 2013 Corolla L

by BobLevine, February 21, 2016

Dealer listed the PCV valve as a 30K replacement interval even though the Toyota maintenance guide does not list it.

I usually change these but asked the dealer for the cost to do it.

Was told the PCV is under the intake manifold requiring much labor. Cost over $180.

Saw an example on youtube and it looked like a big job.

No drivability issues. Sounds early to do this given the terrible position of the part.

What do you think?

Toyota service manual has that part as an inspect and replace as necessary sort of thing.

The location of the PCV makes it tough to get at - my 2009 Matrix and Rav4 are the same way - under the intake manifold, have to move a bunch of stuff out of the way to get to it.

As for PCV replacement at 30K miles - if it really needs to be replaced all depends on how you drive. That 30K mile interval is only valid for extreme conditions - ie, running very short drive cycles (under 10 miles round trip). With that short of a drive, the oil may not get up to temperature - resulting in lots of moisture staying inside the crankcase.

This is especially critical If the car is showing signs of oil consumption - then you are more likely to need frequent PCV replacement.

As long as you can get the oil to operating temperature and keep it there long enough to "cook" off the moisture in the crankcase - that this is puts less of a strain on the PCV. Some cases, with long drive cycles, running a good quality motor oil - some are running their PCV valves 100K miles and up with zero issues.

From the details that you've given in the past on the car and how you drive it - I'd say that 30K miles is a tad too early. As long as the car seems to be running well and no issues with poor fuel economy, drivability, or oil consumption - I'd say 60K miles would be the earliest I'd change it or couple the change with something else that needs to be work on at the time around that area (ie, throttlebody cleaning, valvecover replacement, etc.)

FWIW, I'm still running the OEM one on my 2009 Matrix (~90K miles) - no issues with oil consumption or driveability so far (has a 2.4L 2AZ-FE engine that is a known oil guzzler). If the weather stays like this weekend, I'll pop mine off and take a peek - post it up here for reference.

Thanks again.

No oil consumption issue and synthetic oil changes earlier than every 5,000 miles. Guess I'll wait till 60K or some other repair in that area of the engine.

Shame Toyota made this so costly. Used to be that Toyotas were advertised as "cheap to keep".

I have 260000 km...never checked the pcv valve...no burning issues either..

That's pretty good for the orignal PCV. What oil do you run - conventional or synthetic?

just conventional, cheap stuff, sometimes castrol.

I never replaced it because I can't see it. default_wacko

fish, should I be changing the PCV ??

what are the indicators ??

thanks

Usually oil consumption is a first sign that the PCV is clogged or stuck closed. Sometimes, it shows up as a hard to start condition, poor idling, or driveability issues at cruise - as the throttle body can foul excessively / air fuel mix can be thinned excessively, if the PCV is stuck open.

Though much of that depends on the engine and if it has a tendency to send an excessive amount of oil vapor / moisture through crankcase. Some engines have more blowby than others - ex. lots of turbo-charged cars have tons of blowby, some so excessive that you could have liquid oil form in the PCV.

With your 9th gen Corolla - should be OK, as they revised the design slightly from the 8th gen 1ZZ-FE. That said - that is a lot of kms on one PCV. You should be able to get to it fairly easily - it is on the back corner of the valvecover - have to take the engine garnish cover off first. Looks like a big nut with a hose nipple on it - rubber hose running to it. Same location as the 8th gen 1ZZ-FE engines. They didn't move them until the 10th gen Corollas - where the two new engines came in to replace the outgoing 1.8L 1ZZ-FE.

ok, the engine now burning about 1 quart every 8000km

For that mileage - that is nothing really. Be cheaper to make sure the oil gets topped off when necessary. The car will likely last longer than you want to keep it.

Guest Beans

Usually oil consumption is a first sign that the PCV is clogged or stuck closed. Sometimes, it shows up as a hard to start condition, poor idling, or driveability issues at cruise - as the throttle body can foul excessively / air fuel mix can be thinned excessively, if the PCV is stuck open.

Though much of that depends on the engine and if it has a tendency to send an excessive amount of oil vapor / moisture through crankcase. Some engines have more blowby than others - ex. lots of turbo-charged cars have tons of blowby, some so excessive that you could have liquid oil form in the PCV.

With your 9th gen Corolla - should be OK, as they revised the design slightly from the 8th gen 1ZZ-FE. That said - that is a lot of kms on one PCV. You should be able to get to it fairly easily - it is on the back corner of the valvecover - have to take the engine garnish cover off first. Looks like a big nut with a hose nipple on it - rubber hose running to it. Same location as the 8th gen 1ZZ-FE engines. They didn't move them until the 10th gen Corollas - where the two new engines came in to replace the outgoing 1.8L 1ZZ-FE.

How do you replace pcv on gen 11 or just where is it? 

Topic List