Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Blower Motor Issue

By Harbormaster, October 30, 2015

Good day everyone.

Wow, what a testament to the Toyota Corolla that I rarely post here anymore. I could barely remember my login credentials!

Anyway, I have a 1998 Corolla with 237,000 miles on her. Last winter I had a terrible squealing from the heater blower motor and the blower didn't blow any faster on the highest setting than it did on the second highest setting. Before it got too cold this winter I decided to change the blower motor. I don't know if the sqeal has been fixed, but the issue with the highest speed setting not working persists.

Do I have a bad heater resistor pack or is there some other issue?

Thanks for any advise you may have!

When fan speed settings don't seem to all work, ie. fan doesn't increase speeds evenly at each switch detent - that is a classic sign of damaged blower resistor assembly.

Simple pull and replace sort of thing. Should be able to get to it from passenger side footwell - should be right next to the blower unit (might have to pull the glovebox to get more light in there, get a better look at it.)

Might even be a write up on it in this forum, might be worthwhile to do a quick search - might even turn up a part number for you.

Thanks Fish.

From what I read the bad resistor pack normally made the fan run on high no matter where it was set.

It's either a bad resistor or a bad switch.

I saw the resistor pack when I changed the blower motor out. Should be a quick fix.

Thanks for the help.

Topic List