Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

78 Corolla Problems

by aaansari, October 27, 2015

Hello everyone

So I have just acquired a 1978 toyota corolla rear wheel drive with a smooth original engine.

Before anything else, I am trying to get it up to being a daily runner. Here are the issues im having:

1. After I got the speedometer fixed (needle was dead), the transmission oil leaked out overnight. My mechanic asked me to get a "seal" for the speedometer sproket.

2. The right rear wheel "locks up". Sometimes it will run, other times its just "stuck" and wont budge at all. The repair guy told me the "axle seals" on the right rear wheel are leaking and need to be replaced.

I should point out, I have zero knowledge about cars and I would like some sincere advice on these issues. I am asking a repair guy to come and fix this, not going with the diy route.

And while we're at it, Im in Asia - there are no licensed mechanics here, just word of mouth and trial and error. So I'd like to get this right with your help. Thank you.

I think the biggest issue you might run into will be sourcing replacement parts - given the age of the car. Though in your area, as long as the model is popular, you might be able to source parts.

As for the leaking transmisson by the speedometer gear/sprocket - that is fairly common for this sort of setup. But I'm not sure if this uses a flat seal or o-ring - you'd have to look this up in a parts catalog in your market or trust the mechanic to source the part for you.

The right rear wheel locking up - need a bit more information. Is the wheel not turning at all, not getting power to it, etc.? As for seals - especially if the car wasn't driven for some time / potentially original seals - I'd be shocked if they weren't leaking. Not a bad repair - but needs some SST (special service tools) to properly remove and replace. Can be done without those tools, but you might risk damaging the replacement axle seal.

Bad seals generally don't cause the wheel to "lock up" - unless you mean the brakes becoming extremely grabby. That can happen when the axles seals leak grease onto the rear brakes, causing them to brake very unevenly / "stick". Assuming drum brakes on this model - leaking wheel cylinder is another possibility.

Thank you for your reply.

Parts arent an issue in my country, I'll be able to get them both.

AS for the right wheel - it doesnt rotate at all. After moving it a little last time this happened, that tire left a skid mark on the road, so I assume its brake gets stuck?

Thanks for the suggestion abt TN forums as well, I will check that out.

Good to know - these are pretty tough cars, as long as you have a ready supply of replacement parts, the car could run nearly indefinitely.

If the wheel doesn't move at all - mostly likely it is due to a frozen brake assembly (something contaminated the friction lining, causing it to stick. I wouldn't rule out a bad wheel bearing (if the seal is leaking, the bearing could also ruined). Could also be an issue with the axle or differential - but those are less likely. Stuck brake or bad wheel bearing is where I'd put my money on.

Good luck.

I want to see it. 79 Corolla was the 1st car I got to drive on a daily basis. In my opinion these were the cars that kept Toyota alive in the U.S.

Topic List