Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Maxspeedingrods Coilovers ?

by porsfor, September 22, 2015 in Performance, Engines, Engine Swaps, Cornering

Was browsing around for our Toyota Corolla coilover options: BC, Megan, KW...(which seem to be more various than struts/shocks) and found these:

Maxspeedingrods Adjustable Coilover Kit.

I found these on there website was wondering if anyone has these on there car ? and how the ride quality is ? This is my first time hearing about them, and they look pretty.

Haven't heard of anyone running those on their Corolla. Seems to be a UK based vendor selling Chinese made knock-off coilovers. They say they've been in business for decades, but since I haven't been able to run across any older reference to them - sounds more like a typical knockoff vendor to me trying to drum up sales for substandard product that visually looks nice - get too many complaints, then changes their name to something else.

Only review I've run across for those coil-overs is on a Subaru forum - they basically summed them up to being a crap product. Poorly made casing, missing certain attachment points, adjustable rebound and damping seemingly to have no effect, oil seals leak quickly leading to strut damage, spring rates that do not match their advertised rates.

Usual rule of thumb for any performance parts - you get what you pay for. "Fancier" appearance is almost always a dead giveaway of parts quality being pretty poor, Looks doesn't generally equate to quality, if anything, it should be a warning that the parts are knock-offs or inferior made ot look like some of the more well-known brands.

Haven't heard of anyone running those on their Corolla. Seems to be a UK based vendor selling Chinese made knock-off coilovers. They say they've been in business for decades, but since I haven't been able to run across any older reference to them - sounds more like a typical knockoff vendor to me trying to drum up sales for substandard product that visually looks nice - get too many complaints, then changes their name to something else.

Only review I've run across for those coil-overs is on a Subaru forum - they basically summed them up to being a crap product. Poorly made casing, missing certain attachment points, adjustable rebound and damping seemingly to have no effect, oil seals leak quickly leading to strut damage, spring rates that do not match their advertised rates.

Usual rule of thumb for any performance parts - you get what you pay for. "Fancier" appearance is almost always a dead giveaway of parts quality being pretty poor, Looks doesn't generally equate to quality, if anything, it should be a warning that the parts are knock-offs or inferior made ot look like some of the more well-known brands.

I think your views have some prejudice, as I know, maxpeedingrods is a manufacturer with more than 10 years of independent production and research experience. And I used their coilovers, they are pretty affordable and good performance, that's all I know

• 110 posts

I've never heard of them. However, if you want to spend the money, because they look pretty, please do so. Once you have them, let us know how they perform. I would rather you make the big purchase and suffer any pain, than me. Don't take that the wrong way, I just prefer to learn from the mistakes of others.

If it was my money, I would go for Tein or Koni as my personal preference. The latter using Eibach springs.

Last thought, most Corollas don't need coil overs, the standard Toyota shocks/struts are perfectly fine. If you are drifting (time attack, etc.) an older rear wheel drive Corolla (AE86, etc.), then you should get coilovers. 

• 320 posts

https://www.maxpeedingrods.com/about_us.html

The store implies that they make their own goods but doesn't say it outright. The text is written in a way which suggests poor translation from another language but maybe it's just engineers not writing well. 

Looked up opinions in various places. https://amzn.to/2Mxp0Qt (Amazon) turbo has an interesting combination of positive comments and very negative ones. MG Rover forum has a pretty nasty review ( http://forums.mg-rover.org/mg-r-modification-tuning-7/max-speeding-rods-406766/ ) but they redesigned the parts based on that person's input and they were OK. 

You should really know your stuff before using them, I'd think based on this, but I have no personal knowledge. 

Good to know. Anyone use their gear here?

Topic List: Go to Performance, Engines, Engine Swaps, Cornering