Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Door Lock Problems

By notapennymore, September 13, 2015

My 1999 corolla has been running like a champ but the passenger side door does not open from the inside door handle. The door opens perfectly well from the outside door handle.

I opened the door panel today to see what is wrong. The inside door handle is new. The metal rod it is attached to and the attachment itseld is also OK. The metal rod attaches to the lock and there is a plastic snap which is also in a good condition. If I pull on the metal rod, I can see a small tab going up and down on the other side of the lock but the door does not open.

I think part of the problem is that I do not know how it is supposed to look like. I might open the driver side panel just to see what an attachment is supposed to look like. As of now, I think the lock itself is bad. Strange thing is that I do not come across reports on the internet about this kind of problem.

I can buy a new power lock for $150 but am not sure how to install it.The car is too old to take it to the mechanic for this. Maybe I will have to resort to lowering the window and opening the door.

My panel is still open. I have orders from my wife to close it tomorrow. Until then I can do whatever is necessary to fix or diagnose the issue. Maybe I should make a video of it.

Suggestions? Clues? Videos or Pictures of the lock replacement or how it works?

bump

I have a switch on the drivers side that locks the passenger side so it won't open from the inside. Could that be tripped? It's obvious and you've probably checked it if you have one but thought I would throw it out there.

My 1999 corolla has been running like a champ but the passenger side door does not open from the inside door handle. The door opens perfectly well from the outside door handle.

I opened the door panel today to see what is wrong. The inside door handle is new. The metal rod it is attached to and the attachment itseld is also OK. The metal rod attaches to the lock and there is a plastic snap which is also in a good condition. If I pull on the metal rod, I can see a small tab going up and down on the other side of the lock but the door does not open.

I think part of the problem is that I do not know how it is supposed to look like. I might open the driver side panel just to see what an attachment is supposed to look like. As of now, I think the lock itself is bad. Strange thing is that I do not come across reports on the internet about this kind of problem.

I can buy a new power lock for $150 but am not sure how to install it.The car is too old to take it to the mechanic for this. Maybe I will have to resort to lowering the window and opening the door.

My panel is still open. I have orders from my wife to close it tomorrow. Until then I can do whatever is necessary to fix or diagnose the issue. Maybe I should make a video of it.

I have a 99 also, and a few months ago, I had the same issue on the driver's side. In my case, when you would pull the inside handle, the door wouldn't open, and the handle wouldn't retract. I tested using a little silicone spray on some of the linkage pivot points, working the lock repeatedly as I went. In my situation, the one that changed the lateral motion to vertical was the culprit. I followed the spray with a little white lithium grease, and it's been fine since then. Sorry, no pictures or videos.

I have a switch on the drivers side that locks the passenger side so it won't open from the inside. Could that be tripped? It's obvious and you've probably checked it if you have one but thought I would throw it out there.
Thanks. I do not think I have this switch. I have a window lock switch, and power door locks, all of which are working fine.

I have a 99 also, and a few months ago, I had the same issue on the driver's side. In my case, when you would pull the inside handle, the door wouldn't open, and the handle wouldn't retract. I tested using a little silicone spray on some of the linkage pivot points, working the lock repeatedly as I went. In my situation, the one that changed the lateral motion to vertical was the culprit. I followed the spray with a little white lithium grease, and it's been fine since then. Sorry, no pictures or videos.

Hmmnn...this does not seem to the trouble. Did you see the entire vertical rod move? In my case, the inside door handle did not cause the vertical rod to move.

Topic List