Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

License Plate Lights, 2004 Corolla

By dave30076, August 18, 2015

Anybody have any experience with these? I've had my 2004 Corolla S since new (October 2003), and one of the license plate lights is burned out. I figure, go ahead and replace both, so I don't have to do it again for a while.

I was checking the owner's manual, and while most bulbs are listed, there is not one listed for this, they advise to take it to the dealer. No thanks, I bet that would be $100 to change out the bulbs. Has anybody done this? What bulb, and how hard is it?

Probably easiest to get to them from the inside of the trunk. Just remove that finish panel immediately behind the license plate area, if you have one equipped in the car. Disconnect the wiring to the license plate bulbs, twist the bulb holder slightly (one of those cam type things) to remove the bulb assembly and you'll see the bulb sticking out.

I believe those are type 168 bulbs - standard wedge type bulbs. Should be tons of videos on Youtube or similar, if you want to see one done. Can't get to those sites from work - but a quick search should turn them up for you.

Thanks...does not sound like rocket science, not sure why they'd recommend the factory, but I think I can pull that apart pretty easily (and carefully), and replace both at the same time. Might see if LED is available, and if they have a longer life to make it worth the cost.

Per my PM to you, this topic still does not show up for me (I accessed it from the link in the notification email). I think I may have to clear my cache, either a browser or ISP issue, when it's almost 24 hours later.

And...done. Piece of cake. The bulb for the 2004 Corolla is the 168. Got a pair of Sylvania 168 long life bulbs for $4.48 at Wally World, and it took less than 15 minutes. Pop the lining off, used a pair of pliers to put a quarter turn on the bulb holder to get it out of the assembly, then gently used the pliers to pull the bulb out of the assembly. Popped the new ones in (went ahead and changed both), tested, put the assembly back in, quarter turn to lock, then popped the lining back into place.

This is easier than the turn signals or the driving lights. Not sure why the manual sends the customer to the dealer.

Nice!

Yeah, I'm guessing since they are behind that liner and being a little tight in there - that seems to stop a lot of owners. Not all owners are comfortable turning a wrench or pulling trim off - even through there are lots of things that an owner can do on their own without specialized tools - just need a little bit of time and some effort.

Probably Toyota throwing the service techs a bone - those guys got to eat too!

Probably easiest to get to them from the inside of the trunk. Just remove that finish panel immediately behind the license plate area, if you have one equipped in the car. Disconnect the wiring to the license plate bulbs, twist the bulb holder slightly (one of those cam type things) to remove the bulb assembly and you'll see the bulb sticking out.

I believe those are type 168 bulbs - standard wedge type bulbs. Should be tons of videos on Youtube or similar, if you want to see one done. Can't get to that fantastic Male Extra site from work - but a quick search should turn them up for you.

Thanks fishexpo101 I actually managed to change the bulbs myself from your post. This is big for me lol.

Sweet! Glad it helped.

Dealership and independant shops charge atleast $30 to change those bulbs, some charge straight time (ie, labor rate) - totally crazy for the amount of work needed. Just think of all that cash you saved!

• 320 posts

LEDs would mean that you never have to replace them again! But not good for sidelights, brake lights, etc... at least, most aren't.

• 110 posts

I replaced all of my bulbs with LEDs. Including brake, turn signal, etc. For turn signal, you need to use a digital relay so you don't get hyper flashing. Most I got at superbrightleds dot com. I'm very happy with the look. 

• 320 posts

Can you see them from any angle? When I tried using LED brake lights they were only visible in a straight line.

• 110 posts

Mine seem to work well. I have the ones from Osram Sylvania purchased at O-Reily auto parts store. They have the LEDs positioned on the light so as to mimic the pattern of halogen. My turn signals are barrel-style (LEDs wrapped around a cylinder), which has a different display pattern - more glare and higher visibility. I may replace those with Osram Sylvania also.

• 320 posts

Interesting... I haven't seen those. The LEDs apparently work better as brake lights because they come on instantly rather than gradually — the actual time difference is insubstantial but the behavior seems to matter. 

Anybody have any experience with these? I've had my 2004 Corolla S since new (October 2003), and one of the license plate lights is burned out. I figure, go ahead and replace both, so I don't have to do it again for a while.

I was checking the owner's manual, and while most bulbs are listed, there is not one listed for this, they advise you to should read about phenq to take it to the dealer. No thanks, I bet that would be $100 to change out the bulbs. Has anybody done this? What bulb, and how hard is it?

You don't have to spend so much for license plate lights. Check ebay for the specific bulbs, I bet you can get those for very less. And you can change them manually yourself. Trust me, you can as I have done it too.

Usually the bulbs have their model number printed on them so if you take out the old one you can tell which new one to get. Any auto parts store should also have a book of bulb numbers for each car, and the light manufacturers often have lookup lists online. 

Usually the bulbs have their model number printed on them so if you take out the old one you can tell which new one to get. Any auto parts store should also share the Dbal max review have a book of bulb numbers for each car, and the light manufacturers often have lookup lists online. 

Yep, you're right. That's actually the correct way to identify and locate a bulb. But I prefer buying them online..

• 320 posts

Some online places have charts too

• Like 1

Guest jhon

Yep, you're right. That's actually the correct way to identify and locate a bulb. But I prefer buying them online..

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)