Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Many Failed Front Wheel Bearings? 2003 Corollas

by VaRog, May 20, 2015

Milage 122K, I changed out rear bearings last year no problem. Had shop change out left front bearing

And am now on the (4th) try. They are doing these under their warranty so they are vested in finding the

Cause for the repeated failures. This is a reputable shop with seasoned mechanics. Asked mechanics at dealership but they are mostly just part changers. Any ideas???

Also, checked alignment, replaced tires

Doesn't happen often, but there are cases where some 9th gen Corollas just go through wheel bearings. Some have gone to the extreme of replacing pretty much everything that is touching the wheel bearing (hub, axle carrier, etc.) - but some have not seen any relief.

If the shop has a chassis jig, might be worthwhile to set the car on there and see how true the unitbody is. The alignment could be spot on, but the car could still be twisted.

Also helps to know how the bearings failed, ie. what part of the bearing failed. Was it a lateral force that chewed up the bearing race? Was it moisture penetration, from a bad seal? Any signs of metal spalling, from debris contamination or impact damage?

replaced 3 wheel bearings on mine, even one at the back.

Milage 122K, I changed out rear bearings last year no problem. Had shop change out left front bearing

And am now on the (4th) try. They are doing these under their warranty so they are vested in finding the

Cause for the repeated failures. This is a reputable shop with seasoned mechanics. Asked mechanics at dealership but they are mostly just part changers. Any ideas???

It's always the front left that is failing? Does the hub spin freely and smoothly by hand once new bearing is installed in the steering knuckle? New bearing can easily be damaged is not pressed in properly. Outer race must by pushed onto when pressing bearing into steering knuckle. Then, inner race must be supported when pressing wheel hub in bearing.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)