Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

How Many Liters For Tranny Fluid

By bhp, April 4, 2015

drain and fill through the drain plug ??

corolla ??

don't want to buy too many bottles ...

thanks..

Manual or automatic transaxle ??

Filling through the drain plug would be quite the challenge...

Drain and fill automatic transaxle without removing the pan takes about 3.5 quarts... Do it properly the 1st time by removing the pan to clean it and magnets, and exchange rest of fluid via cooler return line. Total capacity is 7.7 quarts.

Which ATF do you intend to get?

dom, I just did it, it took about 2 liters (2 new bottles) and 1 old bottle (almost full),

so I will return the extra 1 liter bottle that I bought.

I have automatic. I drain through the drain plug, then fill in the dipstick.

I think i have enough, so 3 liters is the bare minimum needed.

I used the toyota brand.

How often is the drain and fill needed ??

I think I did it about 90,000 km ago.

All of the 7.7 quarts should be replaced every 100,000 kms... Have you removed the pan yet to clean it out?

no..never..probably will never...its got 230k km...

too much work...

never heard of corolla transmission failing..my neighbors had one with over 200k...I told him to drain the fluid like I did..for the first time... Lol..

rust eventually killed the car...rust in fuel lines..brakes lines..etc..

I used to drop the pan on dodge van every 50k..still the transmission failed at 150k..

on the van..no drain plug..no choice but to drop it...

the old fluid was dark purple.

did not look great...may listen to Dom and drain and fill in 4 years..but the car is 13 yrs old..in the Canadian rust belt so I do not know how long the corolla lasts up here.but maybe not too long..

Couple of drains and refill in a relatively short period of time will help a lot. But there will still be a fair amount of sludge / fine metal shavings on the pan that even flushing will not remove. Pan drop to clean the magnets and scrap the bottom of the pan - messy and time consuming, but worthwhile of an investment - even with amount of mileage.

I understand where you are coming from - older car and lots of mileage. It could go either way - the car could keep going for another 200K+ km or kick the bucket tomorrow. I've gotten pretty lucky with my cars, no major transaxle issues except for two vehicles (Dodge Dakota and BMW 3-series).

Only got flushed my Corolla once (dealership did it - and they screwed that up!) - since then, only drains and refills every 30K miles, pan drop every other drain and refill - oil comes out darker, but still can pick up a hint of red color in there. 205K miles and still going (knock on wood).

fish..any problem with dropping pan ?? are the OEM gaskets pretty easy to line up and tighten ??

thanks..

No issues with pan drop - just the usual tip of leaving some of the bolts on there, as a quart or so of oil is still left in the pan, even after you drain it. I usually leave some bolts such that one corner of the pan is lower than the others - keeps the fluid sort of contained, unless you got a really wide drain pan.

OEM gasket is a piece of cake - I just set mine out on my work table overnight with a leftover Travertine tile I had from a remodel some years ago, to flatten it out a bit. Even with a little bit of a curl to it, there are narrowed holes on the gasket to use some of the bolts to hold the gasket. Holding the pan up to hand start all the bolts isn't too bad either - as long as you get close to the pan.

Topic List