Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Oil Filters

By Bull6791, March 31, 2015

See every reply in these pages:

I currently use the standard WIX oil filters. I want to upgrade to a better oil filter. What would be a really good oil filter I can upgrade to. If there is a better filter out there I want to upgrade.

Thanks.

WIX is a pretty good filter - hard to say exactly what is a "better" filter. Depends on what you need - more filtering capacity, finer filtering media, heavy duty filter can, etc. Some might like one brand over another for one reason or another - but that is pretty much the extent of it. Might be easier to say which filters to stay away from - can find lots of information on that online.

The bottom line is that most filters, even the crappy ones, will remove particle sizes that are way smaller than the engine cares about. What you really want to make sure is that the filter you choose will not overload with insoluables and then go into bypass mode. Put it another way - make sure the filter is actually filtering oil the entire OCI.

Only way to get good metrics for your car - run a crankcase of oil for a specific amount of time/distance with the filter - then run a UOA to see how well it is controlling insoluables and wear metals. If the numbers are not to your liking - try the same oil, same amount of time/distance with a different filter and repeat the UOA. See what those numbers are like.

Fish

I am just curious. What filters do you use. What filters do you like. I mean your go to filters for your cars.

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure we already talked about this at length before - check back to some of your earlier posts on oil filters and UOA.

Fish

I might try PUROPLATOR PL20195 or BOSCH D3422. I heard these filters are supposed to be really good.

Any thoughts.

Thanks.

As long as they haven't change the manufacturing lines of those tow brands - those are actually the exact same filter - different name, possible different ADV (doesn't really matter on the car, as the filter hangs upside down).

Note that the part numbers (size) you noted is larger than the OEM filter on the Corolla and your Camry. It is almost 1/3" wider diameter and 1 3/4" taller. It probably is OK to run, just make sure the filter seat on the car is clean before running a larger filter. Size of filter is popular with people running extended oil changes (10K miles +), as the bypass pressure is close the OEM filter, will thread on and still have enough clearance to not cause fitment issues. If you run 5K mile OCI, there really is no benefit from running this size of a filter unless you engine is showing excessive amount of insoluables in the used oil.

A safer filter size would be the so called "tall" filters - same diameter, just a touch over 1/2" taller than OEM - in the Purolator brand, it would be PL14477. Especially in cases if ground clearance could be remotely be an issue. Just a little bit more filter media - but still big enough for extended oil changes if the engine is running well. For comparison, the OEM sized filter in the Purolator is PL14476. You can cross then any which way with other makes. Head out to the parts store and compare the filter side by side to get a feeling of the differences in size.

IMO - the WIX branded filter would be a superior filter to the Purolator or Bosch - but up to you to decide. Everybody's cars are slightly different - some might like one brand/size/type of filter compared to others.

Fish

What would be part # for tall filter in WIX brand.

I run a 5000 mile oil change interval. I am asking because I do not know.

Why would the tall filter be better than pl20195 filter that I noted. Could you explain more.

Did you ever use WIX XP filters. I heard they were bad. I wanted to know what you think.

Don't know off the top of my head. You should be able to cross that over from the Purolator number on the WIX website or just run the application wizard to find the correct part number.

The tall filter (PL14477) is not necessarily better than the PL20195 filter - just that the filter you referenced is NOT originally spec'd for your cars, i.e., wrong size. Doesn't mean that people can't make it fit. This bigger filter is very popular with people running extended oil changes, as they want as much filtering media as possible to last the length of the extended oil change interval. That fact that is sized for the V6 Camry and similar platforms and that there usually is some extra meat on the filter pad on the base, means that it could work for some.

Because you plan on running a standard oil change interval (5000 miles) - running a non-spec, oversized filter will yield pretty close to no benefit. Worse case scenario - it could lead to an oil leak, causing some serious headaches down the line, since the filter base is physically larger than the original filter. Height could also be of a clearance issue, depending on application - 1 3/4" taller is a lot of height to take into account.

Better to start off with an OEM sized filter or the interchangeable "tall" filter. Both have the same diameter, same bypass opening pressure, same threads, only difference is the overall height of the oil case. They are considered directly interchangeable in the EPC.

I never used the WIX XP filter, but I have used WIX and NAPA filters (made by WIX) - especially in the cartridge setup in my Rav4 (cheaper than OEM filters). WIX XP was designed for extended oil change intervals - as such, it works better the longer it is on the car. Lots of the issues that you probably stumbled across on the internet was from its poor "beta ratios" or filtering capabilities. Don't read too much into those numbers - as even with the poorer initial filtering stats, the filter will still stop particles that cause most of the engine wear. But I can see why people don't like it - from a numbers standpoint, even compared to the cheapest oil filter - the WIX XP will stick get spanked on just the beta ratios. For my needs, my cars did fine with a "tall" filter, and UOA backed up numbers that showed it would have been good to 12K - 14K oil change interval.

Again - sounds you're reading too much into what brand of filter or what size of filter to run. Stick with OEM or OEM sized first - if you want to stay safe - get an idea of how it runs on the car (baseline), then you can experiment if you are still so inclined.

If you look at any of the posted UOA numbers online - you'll find that the type and sized of filters generally have very little influence on the wear numbers at the standard oil change intervals. Some still like one brand over another for a variety of reasons - buy much of the hype surrounding one vs the other is generally anecdotal in the grand scheme of things.

FWIW - my old Camry with almost 1/2 million original miles, had most of its oil changes running 5000 mile oil changes on the OEM or aftermarket OEM sized filters - the little dinky oil filter. Same oil filter that is OEM on our generations of Corollas and Camrys.

Fish

How good are the OEM TOYOTA OIL. I agree with you why use a oil filter that is not speced for my car. I will OEM filter and interchangeable OEM tall filter.

Do you know the part # for the OEM TOYOTA TALL FITLER. I want to try it. If it is any good.

I looked up WIX part # for PUROPLATOR TALL FILTER pl14477 and got # 57145 I think it's right.

Sorry but I keep thinking 5,000 mile OCI is an EXTENDED OCI not standard. What milage starts EXTENDED OCI. Would that be 7,000 or higher.

Thanks.

Technically, you can consider it extended if the interval is anything above and beyond the manufacturer's specification of a "normal" oil change interval.

Keep in mind that doing so, especially if the car is under warranty, could void any covered work on the car, if they can prove it was some oil related problem lead by extending the oil change.

How good is Toyota oil or oil filter? Both the Toyota branded oil (both conventional and synthetic motor oils) and the OEM filters are pretty good. Like they say, can't really go wrong with OEM parts.

Current PN for Toyota OEM filter (short): 90915-YZZF2

Current PN for Toyota OEM filter (tall): 90915-YZZF1

Fish

Since you use the TOYOTA filters and like them I will try them. Do they have actual DENSO filters or TOYOTA filters are DENSO FILTERS.

I am going to stick with TOYOTA and WIX FILTERS.

What is the difference between buying the OEM oil filter from a TOYOTA dealership or buying the oil filter directly from DENSO. Is there a quality difference.

Thanks

Is 5.49 + tax a good price for OEM TOYOTA TALL FILTER at dealership.

Thanks

^^^ Sounds like a little higher than MSRP retail price to me. Retail list runs between $5.41 to $5.38, according to my source.

I get them for less, but I also buy a block of them at a time (10 filters). I think I paid less than $4 a filter, something like $3.39 each.

Try a Toyota online parts dealership - like 1sttoyotaparts.com or similar - should be quite a bit less. Think they sell them for $4 or so + shipping.

Fish

That's right you got them cheaper because you bought a block of 10 filters.

On the other hand shipping makes the price more.

I will have to try some TOYOTA online parts dealerships like you suggested. Have you used any besides the one you already mentioned.

Thanks.

Lots of members here have used 1sttoyotaparts.com - there are others out there as well. These are physical Toyota dealerships that happen to do a large amount of business online.

Granted, shipping costs will be a factor, especially in small orders. But if you time your purchases well, and buy many of your maintenance items at once, you can come out ahead price-wise.

My filters - I purchased locally at a dealership close to me. Sometimes you can get a "cash discount" deal at a local dealership - depends on the parts person you are working with, just have to ask.

Fish

Just for kick and my curious I called the TOYOTA dealership across from my work and asked how much 5w-30 synthetic would could cost. The guy told me to hold on. The he said they were out of TOYOTA oil. All they had was quarts of MOBIL oil he said for 8.99 each.

Not surprised - lots of dealerships are starting to carry other brands in the parts department as well as Toyota OEM. $8.99 a quart is a little steep, but not terrible either. I saw Mobil 1 synthetic at Sears running $14 a quart!

Fish

1sttoyotaparts is 4.00 a filter like you said. I might buy a case.

90915-yzzf1 is tall filter for 05 Corolla and also small filter for 07 Camry

What is part number for tall 07 Camry filter

The "Tall" filter for the Camry would be the same as the Corolla - just make sure you have the clearance. Same spec on the filters, as both the Corolla and Camry use the 90915-YZZF2 as the OEM replacement oil filter.

Fish

It gets confusing. For the 07 Camry what is the part # for short filter.

Can you put the part numbers side by side indicated by tall and short filter for 07 Camry like you did for 05 Corolla.

This is very confusing

Thanks I always appreciate your help

I did in the above post - 90915-YZZF2 is the OEM filter - ie, "short" (factory part number is 90915-10004, directly interchangeable with the current filter). You already know the "tall" filter number - 90915-YZZF1.

Again, there is no real added benefit to running a larger filter unless you plan on running extended oil changes. The larger filter will not "clean" any better than the short one, only advantage it has is that it can potentially hold more material between changes.

I'm much rather you see what the OEM "short" filter does, then do some UOA to convince yourself if you really need to run a taller filter. Just because someone is running a taller filter in their app doesn't mean that is the right choice for you.

I happen to run the "tall" filters, as that is the OEM filter for both generations of Matrix XRS that I owned. No sense to me in keeping two separate filters, if I can use the slightly taller one on my Corolla.

I also run extended oil changes - anywhere from 7500-10000 miles depending on the vehicle. UOA testing has shown that on my Corolla, the insoluables ramp up pretty quickly towards the end of the oil change interval.

Running a slightly larger filter "may" help screen some of the larger contaminants in that length of oil run - but it is the tribological chemicals: detergents, dispersants, and add-pack that determine how the oil protects/how long it lives. That's why UOAs with the cheapest oil filter vs the most expensive one out there show little variation in the overall numbers.

Topic List