Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Valve Clearance

by Bull6791, March 24, 2015

Maintenance schedule says check valve clearance at 60,000 miles.

When should you check valve clearance.

How do you do it.

Also who should do it you or mechanic.

Any info would be great.

Following the book - its only an audible check. Engine cold, note valvetrain chatter. Engine fully warmed up, note the change in valvetrain noise. Basically if the noise is diminished when the engine is warm - nothing to worry about.

Some owners like to check with a feeler gauge anyways - just for grins. I've always checked when I had the valvecover off - as they are exposed at that time. Not something I'd consider so critical that I needed to pop the valvecover off and check clearances - unless you've noted excessive valvetrain chatter that doesn't diminish as the engine warms up.

Checking clearance is pretty easy - there should be write up on this forum somewhere. Adjusting the clearances, that is a little more complicated. Something that I would not recommend to a DIYer, unless you've had experience working on engines or had lots of wrenching time under your belt.

On the 05 Corolla what is the specs for valve clearance going by the book.

Also to check CLEARENCE do you need a meteric feeler GUAGE.

Thanks

Specs would be in the owner's manual as well as on the placard under the hood. Should also be in a posting on this forum, can't remember off the top of my head right now.

Doesn't matter - the spec indicates the cold clearance levels in metric and SAE values. Most feeler gauges will have both, marked right on the blades.

Topic List