Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By Steves40th, March 19, 2015

Do you think this was/is the cause to P0171 and poor idle acceleration intermittently? Noticed it after changing manifold intake gasket.

Even hairline cracks can cause issues, depending on where the crack is at. Can't see the pic at work, but generally, any crack on the injector housing is a cause for replacement. Not necessarily a leak point, but it could be a sign of imminent injector failure.

Thanks, one of the injectors when unplugged makes no difference on idle. But all injectors OHMd at 14.8. Strange.

Well I moved the injector, and the problem didnt move. I then decided to check plugs. Well, that cylinder was full of water. When I pulled the coil it was saturated. I think I found the issue, it may have been when I powerwashed the engine. I hope I didnt ruin the coil. I need to test it, if there is a simple test to check.. Suggestions?

I'm assuming when you mean that cylinder is full of water - you meant the spark plug well, not the actual cylinder. Paper towels will help wick away excess water, prevent the majority falling into the cylinder. If you get a little water in there, no big deal. Yeah, even with that little seal on the igniter - you can get water in there. I've done it myself, even from the water pressure of a standard hose.

Verify that the igniter coil is not cracked anywhere on its body - that could have penetrated the coil and eventually burn it out. Might have to use some WD-40 or similar, water displacing lube if you don't have access to some compressed air to blow that coil dry.

Testing for a good coil - could ohm out the connector side, all of them should be very similar in resistance. Then visually verify spark - use an old school way of checking for spark - disconnect all the coils, remove the sparkplugs. Stick a sparkplug into the coil, connect that coil to wiring harness, ground plug to chassis ground and have someone crank the ignition and watch for spark.

It will through a CEL when you do this - but clear it and you'll be good to go.

Topic List