Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Throttle Body Question

By Bull6791, March 12, 2015

I know on cars that have a throttle body with a IACV you use the throttle arm to hold the plate open when cleaning.

On cars with DBW if you want to clean the throttle body how do you get plate open.

Could you use your finger and press the lower portion of the throttle plate in and open all the way.

Thank

This assumes that you already removed all the airbox plumbing to expose the TB.

Easiest way is with two people. One to sit in the car, turn the key to ON, and push down the accelerator - that will open the throttle plate. Other person cleans the TB. You can also do the "brick" trick if you don't have a second set of hands around to help - you prop a brick or similar the accelerator in the car to open up the throttle plate. Note that in some engines, like the 2GRFE (V6) - the throttle plate will barely open. In those cases, you can force it open - just make sure there is no power applied to anything. Worst possible thing you can do is try and force the throttle with the key in the ON position - mess up the calibration.

If doing this solo, sans brick - disconnect the battery, key out of the ignition. Push on the bottom of the throttle plate to open it. Hold it while you clean around it. This is the exact same method as a conventional TB cleaning, but there is no throttle "arm" to leverage off of. On the DBW setups - you have to prop the throttle plate open or hold it open by hand. Don't force anything in either case - if it doesn't want to move easily, then you probably are doing something wrong.

There is already lots of good links online. Should be one here and on TN - if you want a Toyota specific one. I think a mod on TN, hardtopte72 has one on 2005-2008 Corolla's with the DBW setup as well as the 2AZFE engine on Scion and Toyota. Should be some videos floating around on Youtube or similar, if you want to reference back to one of those.

Fish

You are right he has one on Toyota Nation for DBW THROTTLE BODY CLEANING. I also think I can't go wrong if I use your or his info. Both are great stuff.

I talk to HARDTOPTE72 a lot he used to work for a toyota dealership before. On the toyota nation website he has a lot of DIY PROCEDURES and he puts a lot of the information on the site himself like part numbers and other useful information.

Topic List