Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By kvandyken15, March 7, 2015

Hi,

In advance, thank you for your replies. I appreciate all the help I can get!

I have a 2002 Chevrolet Prizm (corolla essentially, as I'm sure you know) and it has some wheel bearing issues. I received a quote from a local shop that was much too high, so my father in law and I are going to tackle it ourselves.

I have a couple of questions.

1.) The shop said the wheel bearing was prepacked so it couldn't be rebuilt, which makes sense. DOes this mean that all i have to do (assuming the hub is OK) is press out the old bearing and press in the new? Or do I have to replace the hub assembly?

2.) Both bearings (front) are bad. Is there some other components that I need to check to make sure there isn't something upstream that is causing abnormal wear?

3.) Will I need a slide hammer to remove the hub assembly or is it relatively easy on these cars? Most of what I see and read is that people are not needing them but I'm still not quite sure.

Thank you for your responses, I appreciate the help.

You need to remove your steering knuckles to have your bearings pressed at a machine shop or service center... If you're lucky, you'll be able to remove the retainer clip at the back, and also bang your wheel hub out of bearing. New bearing needs to be pressed in steering knuckle by pushing on its outer race, then press wheel hub in bearing while supporting its inner race to avoid damaging the bearing. You'll then need a front wheel alignment.

Topic List