Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Weird Oil Gel In New Bottle.

By Bad_dude, February 22, 2015

Bad_dude

Hello everyone,

My 1999 Corolla VE is now burning oil like mad. I did the last oil change with the Mobile One Full synthetic high mileage oil. Then I notice it starts burning a quart a week. I am suspecting leaks but nothing on the floor. So my mechanic seems to think it's the engine that's burning it fast. As I ran out of the Mobile One, I used Penzoil platinum full synthetic. Now I top it off with regular dyno 5W30 Peak brand from Pep Boys which I bought a while ago.

As I was topping it off this morning, toward the bottom of the newly opened bottle two days ago, a good size clear gel blob went into the fill hole. I tried to remove as much as I could. I have never seen fresh oil out of a bottle with that clear gel look before. Any one knows what it could be?

Also, the oil changed since only about 3000 miles or less, but the color of the oil is closer to black than brown like I usually see it. Could it be b/c of the synthetic high mileage oil cleaning out the engine good to turn the color closer to black or something else bad might be developing? I am going to change the oil out in the next two weeks or so to Mobile one high mileage 10W40 non synthetic.

I am trying to prolong the life of the car as much as possible while I am looking for a decent used replacement car.

Thanks.

I would directly contact the manufacturer about that blob... did it resemble petroleum jelly? Did you shake the bottle? How long has it been open? Any particular reason youre mixing oils?

Was it burning before the change?

Does your exaust give off smoke? If so what color.

My 99 CE had a similar problem which i fixed by

changing the valve cover gasket. Is there oil in the spark plug tubes?

If you suspect its a line thats leaking, you can buy an inexpensive smoke machine to seek them out.

Sometimes you'll get the additives to settle out of suspension and fall to the bottom of the bottle. Some might even have a viscosity variation - if stored undisturbed for a long time, they could even phase separate (think oil and water in a bottle). Though it is unusual - this is not unheard of. I usually like to shake up my bottles first, to make sure the additive package is completely mixed in with the rest of the oil.

Topic List