Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By hackwriter, February 7, 2015

I've had my 2015 Corolla LE Plus Eco with CVT for two weeks. I bought this car because of reliability and the EPA rating was about as good as you get without buying a hybrid. (I'd found the Prius to be really sluggish.)

At the dealership they told me to keep it in Eco mode, so I do. Most of my driving is to and from work, on NJ highways at rush hour. What this means is that I am dealing with speeds in the 50-60mph range, punctuated by braking for people cutting me off, weaving, going 40mph on a dry road, stop-and go for volume, in addition to local driving. The mpg indicator is all over the lot, and every time I step on the gas, the mpg indicator goes way down. Merging onto a highway puts the indicator in the 9-10mpg range. My 1973 Pontiac Ventura with a 350 V8 got that kind of mileage! Overall it's telling me I'm getting 29.4mpg for mixed highway and city driving. This is terrible, no better than my old 2003, and it's nowhere near as peppy. Go up a hill, it eats gas. Accelerate to pass someone, watch the mpg indicator plummet.

On the rare occasions when I can just keep going and it's relatively flat, it ranges on the highway between showing around 36mpg to about 50, but any acceleration causes it to plummet. 29.4 is far less gas mileage than I would have expected for this car. Any suggestions?

That's normal for your driving conditions, also in winter and with winter gasoline. It will improve as it breaks in. Fuel efficiency is not better with the newer and heavier generation... What mileage are you at? Still on original oil? (5W-20?) It would be better on ethanol-free gasoline, if locally available.

http://pure-gas.org/

Topic List