Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By Summerspell, January 18, 2015

Hi guys!

I'm in love with the 2006 Matrix. I don't own one, but I want one. Problem is my Budget is low and only salvaged and rebuilt titles fit in, or super high miles. I think I trust the high miles (225k with constant fluid changes) over the unknown damage of a branded title. But I'm not a mechanic. I just want a reliable, good cargo space car that's fun to drive, with good mpg. (haha, not so much to ask!)

The other option I found is a '99 corolla with only 150k, but I tend to haul a bunch of stuff kinda regularly and have always had a wagon.

If you had a low budget, less than $5,000, what might you be more likely to go with in my situation?

Thanks,

Summer

If you have to haul supplies/equipment anywhere on a regular basis - the Matrix is a way better choice than the Corolla. We used to have a 2003 Matrix XRS - sort of grew on us - cargo capability was eye popping at times. It was actually bigger, cargo wise, than the 2nd gen Matrix XRS we got to replace it.

High mileage here, as long as the maintenance has been done, is nothing to these vehicles. IMO, you'd get into more surprises with a salvage or rebuilt title - depending on what was done.

As for cost wise, you can find a Matrix in that price range - but can be tough. What is keeping the resale costs high, are exactly the things you are looking at: good fuel economy, reliable transportation, good amount of cargo capability.

Thanks so much!

You are backing up my own opinions. I'm gonna go for it! Will share back as time and more miles get added.

CHEERS,

Summer

Did you get it? You can also look for a used Pontiac Vibe, which is essentially the same car.

I'm still looking at the Matrix, but apparently the 2006 and 2007 models were the most reliable with the 2009 being the worst?

Has to be a stick, but I mostly see automatics.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla Matrix