Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Oil Pan Leak? A Diy Job With Fipg Or Take It To A Repair Shop?

by datsa, January 8, 2015

I just changed the oil in my '88 Corolla, and after driving it for 30 miles, I noticed more oil leaking from the front oil pan gasket area, near the front of the engine. This leak only occurs after driving the car for a while and then parking it. It does not visibly occur while the engine is running. I tightened up the bolts holding on the oil pan, but it did not stop oil loss, only reduced it.

IIRC, these oil pans use a form-in-place gasket (FIPG) instead of a regular gasket.

Any ideas?

Is this a DIY capable job or should I get a mechanic to do the FIPG?

It is DIY-able - but it pretty messy, can be tough to do if you haven't done these before. The hardest parts are maintaining an even bead of FIPG material and waiting the appropriate time before assembling the parts.

Good chance that corrosion got pushed in there and is causing the leak. Depending on the extent of the damage - may need to take that into a shop to be machined. If the corrosion is just on the surface, little to no pitting - you could probably polish it out with a abrasive pad.

If you have a garage to work in - I'd say give it a try. It is already leaking - if your DIY fix doesn't solve the leak, then you can take it in. I'm always of the opinion to try it yourself first, as you have a vetting interest in the car (your car) - I've seen mechanics just slather the pan with sealant, something that looks like my kid would do.

Topic List