Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2011 Le Buzzy Engine?

By cirrus, December 28, 2014

Hi guys

My dealer noticed what I was saying about a buzzyness in the pedals and steering wheel around 2900-3100rpms during a recent oil change. They took a quick look and felt it was something with the exhaust baffle. They are calling TAS on Monday. My feeling is this might be an inherent design deal and I'm wasting my money chasing it down though be nice to get rid of.

What I'm wondering is anyone elses Rolla (10th gen) do the same thing?

Thanks!

2011 LE autotranny

"Hallelujah, my problem is fixed. Kudos to my Toyota dealer who didn't just write this off as "they all do that". They acknowledged the vibration and addressed it. They replaced the rear VVT-I gear. (This is the exhaust VVT gear.) When they inspected the car they had found excessive noise in the valve cover area when under load. This translated to the vibration I felt at 2700-2900 RPM. Not only did this repair get rid of the vibration at this RPM. It also completely eliminated the vibration at idle which I have heard attributed to it being a typical 4 cyl. engine. There is now no vibration at idle no matter what load I add to it (AC, electrical, etc.). A $500 repair covered under warranty for $0. Thanks to the pros."

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/323-10th-gen-corolla-2nd-gen-matrix-engine-transmission-forum/383223-engine-vibration-1-8-liter-2700-2900-rpm.html

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/323-10th-gen-corolla-2nd-gen-matrix-engine-transmission-forum/271160-1-8l-w-auto-s-2700-2900-rpm-vibration.html

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/323-10th-gen-corolla-2nd-gen-matrix-engine-transmission-forum/379590-2011-corolla-le-vibration-engine-noise.html

Did you feel it via the pedals or was it more so you heard it?

Darn.....no way these guys will go for that VVT gear. I suggested that after reading a post on it (probably yours) but they made a "get real" face. While they agree'd they felt it....I don't know if they thought it was an issue or something I'll jump to try and fix it if they agreed with me. I pushed them contacting TAS. My 2005 has it abit which I thought was just normal with timing chain motors but the 2011 has it a lot worse and wider rpm's.

Thanks for the reply!

Thanks Dom!

See that one guy has it on both his cars and that one poster said his dealer wanted to try the muffler. I talked to a guy the other day who said his 2006 also did it. Seems like most probably do this but everyone lives with it. Your car is the only one where it appears the VVT gear fixed it.....or the work doing that gear fixed it.

My dealer has been very good...unlike most dealers I've used. If anything they are very reserved with doing expensive work unlike the Honda dealer that'd threw down a $3000 bill last year and acted like it was normal. But if you mean their tech skills, that does worry me. I always look at the training board and see how many have passed the hybrid training and ask for those techs to look at my cars. In this case that might not have happened.

As far as indi techs.....never again after my last dealings with a few of them. They just cant keep up with the technology and I was badly burned twice a few years back. Most here now are former flunk outs from the dealers who then act like Toy experts. Ten years ago I'd do the VVT gear myself just to see if that solved it but my body is to shot to work on cars now plus I don't have the tools anymore nor can have the car down that long.

I'll see what TAS tells them today or tomorrow.......probably just leave it alone as Fish suggested in my other VVT gear post.

Like I said, it wasn't my car... I quoted "Fish & Ice" from Toyota Nation forum.

Opps...sorry....misunderstood...thought you were Fish and Ice on that site....painting the living room between posts and the fumes affecting my brain.... default_wink

Topic List