Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

What Type Of Power Steering Fluid Does The 99 Corolla Use?

By shawn99corolla, December 9, 2014

Before I replace the power steering pump which is making a horrible sound I would first like to remove all the power steering fluid and replace with fresh fluid. Maybe I will get lucky and the power steering pump will stop making that horrific sound. So question, What type of power steering fluid does the 99 corolla use?

Again thank you. I really need to get a hold of the owner/service manual.

The CHILTON manual just says put power steering fluid in. Hopefully your local parts store has some available.

Regular Dexron/Mercon ATF (automatic transmission fluid).

The CHILTON manual just says put power steering fluid in. Hopefully your local parts store has some available.
Thanks! How often should one change power steering fluid?

You just need 1 quart of regular ATF... Replace it every 60,000 miles or so.

Update: I removed all fluid from reservoir and refilled with ATF and after 45mins of driving no more clattering from power steering pump! I admit I didn't do a complete flush. My plan is to continue to remove old dirty fluid and refill fresh fluid. I presume I will have to do this half a dozen times before all fluid is replenished. Thank you all for your help.

Power steering fluid can be completely replaced in one shot. I just drain the reservoir in a bucket by pulling out the return line hose over suspension control arm after jacking up the front and removing right wheel. Then, pull other end of the hose from reservoir and plug the fitting. Keep filling reservoir with new fluid while turning steering wheel lock to lock a few times, and repeat until it comes out clean from rack & pinion return line over control arm. Reconnect both ends of the hose, and top off reservoir... I do it completely with one quart.

That's a good question and Good post.

Topic List