Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Radiator Drain Valve Leaking....

by cirrus, December 2, 2014

Just had some work done on our 2005 LE....152K....but when they did the antifreeze drain/refill, now I see there is some leaking around the drain valve. I'll try reseating it tonight but if it still drips can the seal in that be replaced? Or is that the whole radiator has to come out?

EDIT: I see they sell that drain plug so looks like it can be removed and replaced. Whew....thought the whole rad would have to be replaced.

TIA!

Yeah, that petcock sits in a bung on the radiator tank - you can replace it if it is buggered up.

I always go back and double check that the petcock is fully closed after driving around a bit after a flush. Sometimes, there is debris that can stuck in the valve and cause it to leak. Most often, some spilled radiator fluid is pooling near the bottom and likes to drip down the petcock, making it look like it is leaking.

I'd clean that area up with some plain water, some shop rags - make sure the petcock is tight, then monitor it for leaks with a piece of cardboard or similar placed under there.

Thanks Fish....that's exactly what I'm going to do tonight....clean it good again and drive it around. If it still leaks loosen it and then retighten it and see. Its been opened a few times the past 6 years so its not like its been left sealed tight the whole time. Hopefully like you said it stops or was pooled antifreeze. Now if I only looked on this site for that leaking front cover deal BEFORE I okayed them to fix that. Usually I say no then get the car up in the air and look myself....oil weeping on a 10 year old car doesn't bother me....but life has been very hectic for us and they said it was leaking pretty good (I doubt that as nothing was on the garage floor) so I okayed it. Now I wish I held off after reading a post here about it. Oh well.

Thanks again!

C

Topic List