Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Noise Coming From Engine

By shawn99corolla, December 1, 2014

Hey guys hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the holidays. Today my 99 Corolla developed this strange noise (rattling noise) Please have a listen:

Any idea what it can be?

Sounds like a connecting rod knocking down at its main bearing on crankshaft maybe, although the knocking frequency wouldn't be so fast... Did it run low on oil? How did it manifest itself?

Sounds like a connecting rod knocking down at its main bearing on crankshaft maybe... Did it run low on oil? How did it manifest itself?
Thanks for your feedback Dom. The noise started this morning. I have had the car for only three months and during that time I have religiously checked the oil. This morning the oil was slightly below the full mark but nowhere near the low mark on the dipstick. For good measure I topped it off and it took about a quarter of a quart to reach the full mark on the dipstick. What do you propose the fix is? As you mention it could be the connecting rod knocking if so how does one fix it? Could it be the timing chain? Or the tensioner for the timing chain? Is it safe to drive like this? Or will I exasperate the problem?

Hey guys hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the holidays. Today my 99 Corolla developed this strange noise (rattling noise) Please have a listen:

Any idea what it can be?

UPDATE: Okay guys I just discovered something. That is when I slightly turn the steering wheel to the left the noise goes away completely. Please watch the updated video below in its entirety and you will see me demonstrate this. Please let me know what you guys think ( Sorry, I dont know how to edit please jump to the 25 second mark and watch from there till the end):

How's your power steering fluid level? I did also wonder about your serpentine belt tensioner at first..

OK I found your problem. It's just the power steering pump pulley nut that is loose. Pulley is likely worn out at the hub, which is relatively common on 8th gen Corolla. You just need to replace the pulley.... It's the one in the bottom at the back, as seen at start of first video when you were directing the camera at the noise source. It's better accessed and inspected from the bottom after jacking and removing front passenger wheel and part of splashguard..

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1432911,parttype,7381

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dorman-300-402-Original-Equipment-Power-Steering-Pump-Pulley-/151407165885?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1999%7CModel%3ACorolla&hash=item23409201bd&vxp=mtr

Start by trying to retighten the power steering pump pulley's bolt to confirm.

Update: I removed all fluid from reservoir and refilled with ATF and after 45mins of driving no more clattering from power steering pump! I admit I didn't do a complete flush. My plan is to continue to remove old dirty fluid and refill fresh fluid. I presume I will have to do this half a dozen times before all fluid is replenished. Thank you all for your help.

So, your power steering pump pulley is ok?

Topic List