Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Oil Filter Wrench

By Bull6791, November 15, 2014

I wanted to know if anybody ever used this wrench before. If you did I wanted to know how you liked it. The wrench is made by PRIVATE BRAND TOOLS.

http://www.pbtusa.com/product/pbt71110a/

THANKS.

That is for 2009 and up Corolla with cartridge oil filter.

Is this wrench only for Toyota cartridge filters or can you use it for spin on filters also. How does it compare to ASSENMACHER TOY 640 oil filter wrench.

That should work for spin-on filters as well - as long as the filter can is 64.5mm in diameter and has 14 flutes.

Similar to the AST TOY 64 wrench, this just has specific cutouts (teeth) that lock onto the cartridge flanges. Assenmacher is 14 flutes, but tighter, as 64mm in diameter. Some filters fit just fine, some don't - just have to bring the tool with you when buying filters or have a backup oil filter wrench at home.

Fish

Do you have this wrench. Also do you need it if you have ast toy 640 wrench.

Frank.

I do not have the PTB oil filter wrench, but I do have the AST TOY 640 wrench. That works for my setup perfectly, and I was able to get it for a pretty good deal. If it will work the same for you, like I mentioned - as long as you can get it to fit the filters you have.

The TOY 640 wrench fits very snugly on the plastic cartridge filter housing I have on the Rav4 - as well as my assortment filters. Possible that if I had a slightly larger wrench, it might make it easier to accommodate more filters, while still being able to remove the cartridge filter housing - but I don't know for sure.

All I know is that a number of owners have one or the other - all seem to be pretty happy with them.

Fish

Just asking. When you have any Toyota vehicle with a cartridge filter is the AST TOY 640 and also the PTB OIL filter wrench the wrench you are supposed to use. Meaning are these the recommended wrenches for cartridge oil filters.

Generally speaking - these are likely the two wrenches, easily available to most owners with cartridge filter assemblies use. Are they the only two out there? No, there are several others as well as the factory SST. As for recommended, nothing by Toyota aside from their own SST. I do know that with a conventional cup style wrench - you have a low chance of getting those cartridge filter assemblies apart - the torque on those can be pretty high.

I know on the TOY 640 - some owners found that it was really snug on the housing. Meaning that it took some persuading to get it the endcap separated from the filter wrench. With mine, I just leave the endcap stuck on the wrench, then loosen it after I get it torqued back on. I don't recall people saying anything like that with the PBT wrench. Might have to wait until someone that owns that particular wrench can chime in for their review - or do a search online.

Fish

Where do you get the Toyota factory SST wrench that toyota mechanics use if you wanted to buy it. I should be able to buy it just do not know where. They probably have 2 one for cartridge filter and on for spin on.

You can order one through your Toyota dealer. Supposed to fit both cartridge and spin ons, but even the technicians say they have to have two or more different filter wrenches around to make sure they can get the filters they run into off.

Last time I checked - it ran something like $80 for the tool - list price was obnoxiously high. That's why I opted for the Assenmacher wrench - I think I got mine for $12 online.

Topic List