Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

From Drums To Rotors

By daniel0269, November 14, 2014

Is it too expensive to switch my rear drums to rotors like the front ones I have powerstop ventilated rotors in the front they brake real nice, but I bought new rims they were supposed to fit any corolla from 97 to 2002 but apparently the drums interefere the wheel fits but the screws are shorten, and that is unsafe. I had two options Get longer screws or change the rear break system. I also dont know if it is possible to get longer screws I know some cars have that attached and it cant be changed.

Moreover, if the only option is changing the braking system then what brand of conversion kit should I buy.

That sounds pretty odd. The projection of the wheel studs are the same, front and rear, on the disc and drum setup. Unless the wheel has some wild offset - but I would think that would interfere more with the disc than the drum setup (overall diameter).

Did you get a staggered wheel setup? Different sizes from and rear - like the wheels they used on the MR2? That would possibly explain it.

As for stud length - you can punch those stud out and pull in longer ones. Not hard - you can rent the tool to push them out, then use a lugnut and stack of washers or section of steel pipe to pull the stud through.

If you are set on getting a rear disc conversion - couple of options.

- Get the rear discs off a JDM AE101/AE111 Corolla - those are a bolt on match to the USDM Corolla. These will be used parts, can be crazy expensive, given they have to be shipped overseas + typical JDM price gouging.

- Get the rear discs off a Celica, most are 5-lug, so you'll have to redrill the rotor, not rocket science, but definitely take it to a shop as it has to be dynamically balanced afterwards, or at least it should be.

- Willwood makes an aftermarket kit for the 7th and 8th gen Corolla. Think this was in the $500-$600 range, but they can be pretty hard to find stocked anywhere.

Too expensive I guess Ill just get longer studs. the rims are 39 offset 15"x 6 4x100 apparently they were intended for scion xB and xD, and in the description said it will fit corollas from 87 till 2002, and it does fit, but like I said it need longer studs to be safe because it barely closes, and now that I think about you are right it should be the same size as the front I'm going to try them in tomorrow since I'm changing my suspension.

Thanks again fish.

Topic List