Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Do New Spark Plugs Need To Be Gapped?

by shawn99corolla, November 10, 2014

I just bought a new set of spark plugs NGK BKR5EKB-11 for my 1999 Toyota Corolla. My question is do I have to gap them? Or are the gaps preset from factory? I was not able to find this information on their website. Toyota recommended gap spec to be set at 0.044. If I do have to gap them. How do I go about doing that since this particular spark plug has the double ground electrode?

Thanks.

The "-11" at the end of spark plug number means that they are gapped to 1.1mm (0.0433")... You can carefully measure their gaps to confirm. They can be easily damaged if you don't know exactly how to gap them.

Those will come pre-gapped from the manufacturer. If for any reason, you need to verify the gap (double check) or if one is visibly messed up - they recommend only using a wire type feeler gauge, less chance to crack the plug.

Those wire types will also use a fork type gap adjuster - you slip it over the ground electrode and lever it in or out to get the right clearance. They make an automatic plug gapper - but those can be hard to find, very expensive.

Definitely DO NOT use a coin type or ramp type plug gapper, that will also guarantee spark plug damage.

Thank you both Dom and Fish for the great and detailed explanation. I am glad I waited for you guys to respond as I was going to use the coin tool in effort to check the gap and correct the gap if necessary. I will visually inspect each plug for any damage.

When I purchased these plugs at the local auto store the gal who rang me up also gave me a little packet of "Anti-Seize" *High Temp Copper Formula. It is safe to apply just a little dab on the threads before installation? I see mixed and conflicting information about applying this stuff. Please let me know your thoughts on the anti-seize.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/VER0/13111/N0490.oap?ck=Search_N0490_-1_-1&pt=N0490&ppt=C0139

For your review above is the link to the anti-seize packet I was given. Again, thank you. You guys have been most helpful and for that I am grateful. default_smile

Topic List