Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Radiator End Caps.

By Bull6791, November 7, 2014

I wanted to know what are RADIATOR END CAPS: I thought the end caps were where the metal meets the plastic.

Also on the other hand I thought radiators were made out of aluminum and not plastic.

So I just wanted to know what the end caps were.

Thanks

Frank

Those radiator end caps can be aluminum or plastic - they are sometimes called side tanks - the core of the radiator, the part that is doing the cooling, is generally aluminum. End caps / tanks can be crimped to the core or welded to the core. Most modern OEM applications will be crimped, cheaper and faster to make - higher performance OEM and high performance aftermarket are generally welded.

Basically a reservoir enables coolant to run/pushed through a central core. Some radiators have one end cap/tank, some have two. My 8th gen Corolla has plastic end caps - they are positioned top and bottom. On your 9th gen Corolla - they are positioned left and right. No real benefit from one to the other, aside from packaging requirements.

Fish

On the 2005 corolla that I have on the radiator where the metal meets the plastic is that the end caps. What would you call that area where metal meets plastic.

Also I heard this is a common spot for radiators to leak. Where metal meets plastic. Just do not know if they call this area end cap.

Thanks Frank

I guess they would call it a crimp or interface between the end caps and radiator core. If you have to bring this up with a mechanic - if you say crimp or end cap - they will understand.

Is the end caps and where the metal meets the plastic a common place for radiator to leak

Yes . End caps. Kind of reminds me of spark plug valleys.

Why. They are not related.

Because they leak.

Nice!

Sorry Frank.

I shouldn't make jokes on a serious topic on this forum.

Topic List