Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Weird Issue With 2013 Corolla L - Auto - Any Ideas

By BobLevine, October 29, 2014 in Toyota Corolla (2009 until 2018-19 “TNGA”)

Hi,

Had something unusual occur twice and want to know if a diagnosis code might be out there for my dealer even though no failure light was displayed.

1. Both times was driving down a mild incline

2. Transmission in drive

3. First time - 2 weeks ago -- second failure yesterday

4. Car just stopped moving. depressing accelerator did nothing

5. Engine did not rev up as if it were in neutral or tranny slipping

6. Fixed by turning key off then back on

7. Car drives fine. tested downshift - OK

Questions

1. Think it's tranny or accelerator control system (fly by wire)?

2. Could Leith Toyota retrieve any trouble code even though no service light was displayed?

Don't want to go in now unless dealer has somewhere to start.

You can get yourself a code scanner for very little, or you may be able to borrow one from a large parts distributor like Pep Boys, There may possibly be pending codes, although it's unlikely.

Have you replaced your transmission fluid yet? What mileage are you at?

You can get yourself a code scanner for very little, or you may be able to borrow one from a large parts distributor like Pep Boys, There may possibly be pending codes, although it's unlikely.

Have you replaced your transmission fluid yet? What mileage are you at?

My Corolla's only at 17K miles and is in warranty.

When I once had an issue on my 08 Corolla. my dealer said codes automatically clear and the check light goes out after a few drive cycles. This is the main check engine light but perhaps some systems have, as you mentioned, another set of codes.

Transmission fluid is original and checked by dealer every 5K. Doesn't look burned.

Codes are not automatically cleared ever. There may be a pending code that is stored in memory.

Report your problem to Toyota dealer, as it is still on warranty.

I'll include it in my next visit unless it messes up before service is due in a few weeks.

Thanks

Had oil change today at dealer and asked about issue.

Since MIL never lit, no codes were stored.

Hasn't happened again yet.

That is pretty weird. Since yours is the L trim with the conventional 4-speed automatic, it wouldn't have any of that funky business that some owners found with their CVT transaxles. Solar flare? Shift in earth's magnetosphere?

That is pretty weird. Since yours is the L trim with the conventional 4-speed automatic, it wouldn't have any of that funky business that some owners found with their CVT transaxles. Solar flare? Shift in earth's magnetosphere?
But it happened twice, three weeks apart.

Will hope it doesn't occur at a dangerous time.

Met a lady at dealer with a 2 year old Camry that had a glitch like this 10 times and just got a recall letter from Toyota about a software update.

Advised her to go lemon law if this isn't fixed. Very dangerous to have throttle cut out when merging on a freeway.

I see you're not the only one with such electrical problems. It appears to be a random and intermittent electronic engine control glitch to which no cure has been found... Just make sure your battery and grounding points are as good as possible. Can your traction/stability control be switched off?

I see you're not the only one with such electrical problems. It appears to be a random and intermittent electronic engine control glitch to which no cure has been found... Just make sure your battery and grounding points are as good as possible. Can your traction/stability control be switched off?

Yes it can be switched off but pops on at next restart.

All under hood connections are pristine and corrosion free.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla (2009 until 2018-19 “TNGA”)