Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Front Cover Leak

by myprizm, October 10, 2014

• 42 posts

I have currently 2007 Corolla with 88k. I bought it as "certified" from the local dealer with free oil change for life. Every time when they change oil they also do some diagnostics with very hefty price for each item. This time they told me that "Front cover is leaking" and they strongly recommend to reseal. On my question about location of that cover they told me that it is BEHIND the engine looking from the front that it requires pulling out the engine from the car and the price would be around $1600. In fact I was talking to the "front desk " customer man not with the mechanic. I suspect that they mean taming chain cover but that should not require pulling out the engine. Also didn't have any work done on that side of the engine. Any thought what that cover could be?

Also they recommended replacing battery as it failed Load Test. In fact my battery is original one (7 years) but it never failed me so far and I checked gravity and was on all cells perfect.

Thanks for any comment

A very common oil leak on corollas is the timing chain tensioner O ring very cheap . It's in back but can be accessed without pulling the engine.

The (Front) of the engine is on the right side of the car.

Where the pulleys and belt are located. On the passenger side.

So the dealer may not be correct about the front cover that he says is in back which is actually the side of the engine.

9th gen Corolla is NOT a leaker by any means, especially not at only 88k! Find the oil leak if there is any, and show it to us... If it is just the timing chain tensioner o-ring on the back, it's only a 15 minute job to replace a $1 part.

• 42 posts

That is exactly what I thought. Except that it shouldn't be $1600 and honestly I didn't' see any indication of seeping from the cover (regardless where the leak originates). But I also didn't notice any leaks on the ground or looking from the under the car (from time to time I check it). Before they also indicated the leak from the tensioner but I just tighten the bolts and it is dry now. I will clean the area and will watch it.

Thanks a lot for reply

Topic List